What difference has your pet made to your life? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

What difference has your pet made to your life?

Cher_Alumni
Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
edited May 2021 in Coffee lounge

National Pet Month has just come to a close, bringing an opportune moment for us to reflect on how pets benefit disabled people's wellbeing and independence.

A cat sitting bolt upright on a sofa looking shocked

Recent research conducted between Scope and the University of Sheffield's 'I-Human' team showed that one of the key things that made a difference to young disabled people's lives was animals.  From assistance dogs who help overcome external barriers to navigating our communities, to the furry (and not so furry) friends offering companionship through periods of isolation, animals better disabled lives in multiple ways.  

How has having a pet helped me?

Looking back I can see how having my cats helped me during periods of my impairment flaring.  During emotionally difficult times, just having them sat next to me was a comforting presence that reassured me I wasn't alone.  In-fact, it's often appeared that they have a sixth sense and know when I'm 'not quite right'.  Stroking them was a good way of helping me keep mindful and they encouraged me to go outside, albeit just to the garden to watch them play, when I didn't think I had the energy.  My cats are my non-human support network and I'm meowy thankful to have had them in my life.

Over to you:

• Can you relate to the findings of the study?
  • How has having pet(s) improved your wellbeing and independence?
  • Do you have any pics of your pets to show us!  <3
Let us know in the comments below.  
Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Comments

• motherjac
    motherjac Community member Posts: 5 Connected
    My 3 cats and 2 guinea pigs help immensely. They cheer me up when I’m feeling down and keep me motivated. I would be lost with out them.
  • motherjac
  • Cher_Alumni
    @motherjac A warm welcome to the community from me and oooh hello to your furry friends  <3  What gorgeous creatures they are!  What are there names?  It's lovely to hear how they make you happy and motivated - I totally get that too!

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • motherjac
    Thank you, their names from the top are Tabbytha, Willow, Abraham and Parsnip and last but by no means least Monty my old boy who is 17 years young. 
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,368 Disability Gamechanger
    Lovely pictures @motherjac thanks for sharing
  • Cher_Alumni
    @motherjac What beautiful names, particularly Parsnip  <3 And wow, Monty is a gorgeous boy.

Here's a little photo of my two girls: Lavender is the white one and Trinity, her older sister, looking on disapprovingly  :D  

• 66Mustang
    Great pictures @Cher_Scope

I like cats and wouldn’t mind getting one when I am able to live by myself, for some company, but I’m not sure I could handle the responsibility of looking after another living thing - looking after myself is hard enough!! Are cats easy to look after?
  • 66Mustang
    PS we currently have a family dog and he is great fun and a great companion. 

I never thought I was an animal person but he is really nice to have around the house. :)
  • Cher_Alumni
    @66Mustang I find them really easy to look after (although disclaimer: this is my personal experience  :D ) They are super self-sufficient and only really meow when they want to go outside or when they are ready for food, loitering around their bowls.  It can be tricky if we plan time away for holidays to get a cat-sitter but my family members are normally happy to pick this up and make sure they're looked after.  Maybe it's something to think about for the future?  And ahhh, a dog!  Do you have a pic?   :)

• 66Mustang
    Here you go, he is a border collie :)

• Cher_Alumni
    @66Mustang D'awww and he has a Kevin the carrot  <3  How cute!! What's he called?

• 66Mustang
    Hehe :smiley: he’s called Jenson
  • BunnyBabs
    BunnyBabs Community member Posts: 13 Connected
    Love your Pet family ,Normally Thats all I eva talk about...My Bunny Tina !
    We had a cat just like in your first picture,Very special, The neighbours
    used to hide in waiting ,just to watch him saunter down the garden path ,then stand up ;  rat-a-tat-tat on the door...with the knocker and he'd remain standing until the door was open..like a little gentleman..His name was Mr.Kitten...simply because he was the only kitten born .in a litter of 1 !!
    We had him until he was 17...
    I'm not very good at losing pets I'm afraid ..I was in deep mourning for at least 2yrs...
  • fluffycat
    fluffycat Community member Posts: 233 Pioneering
    Cats make a house A HOME!,

something to fuss over, get a response, (sometimes random) talk to puss rather than self, sense of purpose and a welcome home (well sometimes lol) 

Choose cats as lower maintenance than dog.

Had few cats over time, all individual characters. Tend to get young cat so get plenty of time with them.

Shortest few years to nearly 2 decades !! 
  • cupcake88
    cupcake88 Posts: 1,273 Pioneering
    My little dog is my world I believe he has saved my life many time’s by just being there xxx
  • ernie2009
    ernie2009 Community member Posts: 167 Pioneering
    i have 3 little dogs which are 2 jack russels and 1 mini wire haired sausage dog. ellie and mollie are jacks and ernie the sausage dog. ellie is 13, mollie 4 and ernie is 12. they are like our kids and we even call them the kids and all spoilt rotten but have been part of our lives for some time. what would we do without them? we,d be lost. 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    It's lovely reading all of your stories, and seeing the pictures! Keep them coming :)

It's good to hear from you @cupcake88. How are you getting on? 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    We had a clever cat who used to climb up to a high tiled shelf outside the front door and lift the door knocker to come in. I was eight years old and quite surprised a cat could be so clever. 

Thank heavens they dont have opposable thumbs or we might be in big trouble! 

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• fluffycat
    @ernie2009

Had quick look @ J. Russel’s recently and were going for over a grand !! SO

Looked at cats and they were going at over £300 for a moggy! (Lots of ads users were ONLY one month registered on various platforms, so potentially iffy and stories of allergy etc. but still cashing in)

Luckily found a kitty that didn’t cost a fortune and the  person had been on the platform for many years with genuine reason for rehoming. 
  • fluffycat
    leeCal said:
    We had a clever cat who used to climb up to a high tiled shelf outside the front door and lift the door knocker to come in. I was eight years old and quite surprised a cat could be so clever. 

Thank heavens they dont have opposable thumbs or we might be in big trouble! 
    My recent cat could open doors by swinging on the handle lol.

Current cat can slide a treat down face and eat it or let water roll down face from tap, to drink. (Then shake it off like a duck lol) Also pats my hand or high-5 for a treat! 

Brightness