Do I have to accept a smart meter and earliest date Woes?! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Do I have to accept a smart meter and earliest date Woes?!

fluffycat
fluffycat Community member Posts: 233 Pioneering
edited October 2021 in Benefits and financial support
Hello

Gas meter battery is low and company says a legacy meter has to be replaced with a smart meter and earliest date is late June!

(Q1) can they insist ?

(Q2) Fair to wait so long for any meter remedy when battery an issue ?

Comments

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @fluffycat

Whether they can insist, I'm unsure. But with the constant push for smart metre installation I wouldn't be surprised if they did insist. 

I'm reluctant to have a smart metre installed myself at this stage, I need to do further research into them first before deciding on that. 

You might wish to contact Scope's new energy support service, the team will be able to answer your query I'm sure :)  Having to wait until June does seem like a long time, maybe there are delays at the minute caused by pandemic restrictions? Did you query why it would take so long?
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • fluffycat
    @Ross_Scope

Not treated as priority as battery still has life (albeit on last legs) and gas still flowing.

I have reservations too about smart reliability and dynamic pricing possibility. 
  • MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    I’ve heard stories where terms and conditions have been attached to certain tarrifs whereby they say it’s a condition to have a smart meter installed if they so wish to do so. 

I would check that out first. 
  • fluffycat
    @MarkN88

Ofgem web says 
    if your existing meter is need of replacement, your supplier should replace this meter with a smart meter unless there is a good reason not to.

• OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,586 Disability Gamechanger
    The latest SMET2 meters are compatible with other companies that also use SMET2 meters.  It's the original smart meters that aren't at all interchangeable.

I really want one myself as my electric seems very expensive even though I'm on the 'assist' tariff.  Trouble is I'm on Economy 10 and they don't make Smart Meters for that.

If I switched to Economy 7 my storage heaters and immersion heater would only work at night and be cold by lunchtime!  (Been there, done that in a previous all-electric property).  And I would not be able to use high consumers like the washing machine and tumble drier on low rate.
  • vikingqueen
    vikingqueen Scope Member Posts: 1,411 Disability Gamechanger
        I really don't see the point of them for people that live on their own as I do, I use what I use and that's it. I'm old enough to know how not to waste energy so looking at a little gadget that needs to be plugged in regularly because the battery only lasts about 10 hours won't help my bills to be lower. I'm with you Mike and I ignore my energy company letters and phone calls. 
  • fluffycat
    @vikingqueen

had an energy monitor which clamped onto meter cable until house rewire. (and no longer could clamp on afterwards)

I know about elec KWH / watts (greedy appliances) and gas use what’s needed. Was novelty really. (Elec)
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    We have a tarrif with eon and apparently they are insisting on us having a smart meter as part of our conditions. Until now we have ignored them about it but recently they have been trying to book us in to have it fitted...still ignoring them.

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    So if they need to connect to the internet what if you haven’t got the internet? I thought they just beamed up to a satellite or something. ?

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    We were with SSE for electricity for 9 years, (we don't have mains gas) and I refused to have a smart meter, however when we changed to EON last year part of the deal was we had to have a SM, and I must say it's made me think twice about wasting electric and has lowered our bill.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• fluffycat
    @Ross_Scope

The Scope Energy  S. S. couldn't furnish me with the answer. I could register for the energy 45min review.

Instead I contacted a local Advice Agency who are chewing over it. ((How quickly should I get a resolution and does it mean an enforced Smart option? (Energy co. has booked it for late June))

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.