Too much cider — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Too much cider

Welshjayne2021
Welshjayne2021 Community member Posts: 85 Courageous
Hi, probably shouldn’t be writing this, but had a really bad couple of days. The pain and stiffness all over my body  has been annoying to put it mildly.  So I have resorted to drinking cider to erase the horrible sensation.  To blank out the feelings, but now I feel guilty about being so week and giving in. Does anyone know what I am talking about and does anyone have alternative ideas?

Comments

• Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi  I will say that drinking isn't the answer that will cause even more problems to your health and cause more pain 

Speak to your dr about the pain have you tried pain management it is good but it's not to everyone's taste  the dr can refer you to the pain clinic 

Are you on any medication for pain or anything else  if you are then again speak to your dr but you shouldn't be drinking if you are on medication 

I hope that you can get some help but as I said drinking isn't the answer 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi there 

You can write this it is good you have reached out for support 

Have you seen your gp about your pain and having any treatment could you be referred to a pain clinic 

I'm by no means judging but I think you know yourself alcohol isn't the solution though I can understand you wanting to take away the pain 

Is this something you do on  regular basis or is it a one off 

We are hers to support you and hoping others have some advice for you 
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    edited May 2021
    Hi @Welshjayne2021

Thanks for sharing this with us.  It can't have been easy and it's good that you're seeking support because you recognise it's not a healthy way of coping or managing your pain.  If you don't mind me asking, how much have you been drinking?  If you prefer not to answer that, that's absolutely fine and you can use Drink Aware's 'Alcohol self-assessment test' to check if it's too much.  But note - men and women are generally advised not to drink more than 14 units per week.

Is the pain in relation to what you suspected was Post impairment syndrome?  And, did you have your rheumatology appointment yet?  I'd really encourage you to contact your GP in the meanwhile to make them aware how much the pain is impacting your daily life.  They will be able to offer treatment options based on your personal circumstances and offer that expert advice we're limited in.

As @lisathomas50 said, please be careful if you are taking other medication and drinking.  We wouldn't want you coming to any harm because of interactions between the two.  

This NHS webpage lists various support organisations you could speak to, about drinking and other means of coping.  They are:
    • Drinkline national alcohol helpline on 0300 123 1110
    While speaking personally, I'd recommend to do anything that makes you happy and distracts you - I appreciate with chronic pain this is easier said than done.  I've found crafts and making a rag rug, reading books, gardening and listening to podcasts all helped divert my attention during hard times, and of course - talking with friends and loved ones  <3

Please let us know how you get on and remember our community is always here to listen, vent and chat with.  
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • Welshjayne2021
    Thanks to you both.  I know what you’re saying!  And as someone gone through an alcohol detox, I should know better, but it just helps now and again.  Don’t worry I am in control despite circumstances.  Painkillers are not always the answer.  Thanks for your concern and support.  I just needed to cry out!
  • Welshjayne2021
    Hi, Cher scope. It’s ok I know my limit.  I have learned the hard way.  It just helps now and again.
  • Caz_Alumni
    Caz_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 621 Pioneering
    @Welshjayne Thanks for that last post. It's really good to hear that you're feeling in control despite everything. 

You did exactly right by reaching out to the community. We're really glad that you did. Sometimes you just need to feel like you can 'speak' to somebody else about what's going through your mind. I think we all completely understand that feeling. 

You take care and stick around if you feel like you want to carry on talking. :)

Online Community Coordinator (she/her)

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 46,717 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Welshjayne2021 sorry to read your post about the pain your In.
    How are you feeling today?
  • Welshjayne2021
    Hi @Sandy_123.    Thanks for your post.  Feeling much better today.  Kind regards.

Brightness