Careers allowance advice — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Careers allowance advice

Options
plum92
plum92 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited October 2021 in Benefits and financial support
 Hi everyone. I’m new to scope. I was just wondering if someone can help me please. I was receiving lower rate care for my son since last April. I made a new claim in March and they received it on the 25/03/21. I received a letter today saying from the 28/05/21 I’ll be receiving middle rate care for him. Which means I can now make a claim for caterers allowance. I had a look at the career allowance form earlier. I put the 28th as when do you want the claim to start date. I’m confused at the next part asking ‘Were you providing care for the person for more than 35 hours a week before this date’ because obviously I was but I don’t know what to put. Would it be no as he wasn’t entitled to middle rate before the 28th? Or would it be yes from the date I made the renewal dla claim? I’ts really confusing me. If someone could help me please that would be amazing. Thank you ?
Tagged:

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Put yes.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • plum92
    plum92 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Hi Calcotti. Thank you for your quick reply. What date would I put? Would it be when I made the dla renewal? 
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited May 2021
    Options
    It really isn’t critical and isn’t going to affect your claim. I would put whatever date you think you started caring for him over and above what might be considered usual - perhaps when you were first awarded DLA.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @plum92

Welcome to the community, I hope you are well. As mentioned by calcoti, the answer would be yes if you were indeed providing that level of care prior to the date you had put in the previous question.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    yes even if your son wasn’t entitled the the middle rate benefit you where still giving the 35 hours of care.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.