Hi, my name is Kila2311! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is Kila2311!

Options
Kila2311
Kila2311 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
I have lupus and have battled this awful condition for 27 years and managed to continue to work throughout, although now I only work part time. My part time hours have been getting fewer and fewer as time has gone on and now at 53 years of age I am really struggling to work - my days off are just days in bed resting/sleeping due to exhaustion so this is no quality of life. 
I am seriously considering early retirement due to ill health but have no idea what to do or how to start going about it! I have just started a new job 4 weeks ago, after a year of shielding/furlough through lockdown and I am already exhausted. 
Please advise... 

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi there 

Early retirement can be hard to get if you are wanting to take your pension early 

Is this what you are wanting to do ? 

Another option is to leave work on grounds of ill health and then if entitled claim benefits , or you could go down the medical dismissal route 

It may be worth speaking to hr and be honest and ask what your options would be or read the relevant policies if they are available to you 

Any further questions just ask 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Kila2311 - Welcome to the community & thank you for joining. I'm sorry about the problems you have; feeling so exhausted must be awful. I hope the options mentioned above are helpful to you, but please come back with any questions. :)
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello and welcome to the community @Kila2311

I'm sorry to read about your difficulties with lupus, I hope you've found the responses so far helpful. 

Do you have support to manage the condition from your GP or other loved ones?

And have you discussed your condition with your new employer, in order to explore any potential solutions which might make you feel a bit better on your days off?
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi I have lupus I have had to drop my hours to part time I am always tired and worn out and have lots of other symptoms hope you can get the help and support you need x

Brightness