Fun facts thread - Page 3 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Fun facts thread

Comments

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    I nominate you to embark on an official count @Tori_Scope :) 
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Time to book some annual leave @Ross_Scope :D
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    @Tori_Scope we need far far more trees regardless.

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,651 Connected
    Apparently people from Barnsley are known as "Dingles", eh?

• Ross_Alumni
    Humans have more than 5 senses. Scientists believe there could be up to 23

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 46,765 Disability Gamechanger
    How coffee was discovered 
    There, legend says the goat herder Kaldi first discovered the potential of these beloved beans. The story goes that that Kaldi discovered coffee after he noticed that after eating the berries from a certain tree, his goats became so energetic that they did not want to sleep at night.
  • Skye314
    Skye314 Community member Posts: 11 Listener
    This thread is amazing! So many great facts, my minds gone into overdrive with facts now. I wish I could reply to them all! 
    @Adrian_Scope good job Switzerland! Guinea pigs are highly sociable so I hate to hear of one alone. I am piggy mad myself.

Guinea pigs sleep usually sleep with their eyes open and for 10 minute bursts. If your guinea pig defies this general rule it means they feel very safe in your company. 

When guinea pigs are really happy/excited they "Popcorn" (it's a mix of jumping, twitching and wheeking - my first thought when I seen this was "Oh no my guinea pig has epilepsy").

An excited guinea pig will also do zoomies (running around in circles) and a guinea pig trying to assert their dominance will rumblestrut (they strut, and they rumble- it's quite amusing to watch).

Also, a fun one I've always loved: It is illegal for a frog to croak after 11pm in Memphis, Tennessee.

• Ross_Alumni
    Sandy_123 said:
    How coffee was discovered 
    There, legend says the goat herder Kaldi first discovered the potential of these beloved beans. The story goes that that Kaldi discovered coffee after he noticed that after eating the berries from a certain tree, his goats became so energetic that they did not want to sleep at night.
    Love this, never knew that :) 

Thank you for sharing those super facts @Skye314, they're all great, especially the one about guinea pigs sleeping, 10 minute bursts is such a strange way to sleep when considering it from a human point of view :):smile:

That last one about frogs is very random too, I wonder if a frog has ever been arrested for doing that?

• Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 46,765 Disability Gamechanger
    @Ross_Scope thank goodness the goats ate the berries, because I love coffee
  • Tori_Scope
    They're frogmarched out by police quite frequently I believe @Ross_Scope.

Love the facts @Skye314! I love animal zoomies. Tippy taps are my favourite though, I'd highly recommend a watch.

• leeCal
    @Tori_Scope I believe that most of the frogs are simply told to hop it.

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• Tori_Scope
    Ah yes, I frogot about that @leeCal

• Dragonslayer
    Dragonslayer Community member Posts: 2,165 Pioneering
    Here's a few I've heard over the years.

England is around 74 times smaller than the USA, but has about 150% more people than the state of California alone!
    The medieval version of football was so violent players sometimes died on the pitch.
    It is illegal to get drunk in Scotland whilst in possession of a cow.
    Apparently right handers live longer than left.
    Come to think of it. I'm left handed, and proud of the fact too I might add.  ?
    Any more out there?

• euro
    euro Community member Posts: 73 Courageous
    @Dragonslayer If memory serves me right, left handed premature mortality is down to fatal accidents caused by left handers unsuccessfully using tools designed for right handers.  Be careful out there xx
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,368 Disability Gamechanger
    I read that things that make a satisfying noise when closed like car doors don’t need to make a noise. They are just built to make a sound because people like it for reassurance!
  • Ross_Alumni
    Interesting @66Mustang

I can't say I've ever found the sound of a car door that comforting, though I guess it's one of those that I'd maybe notice if it wasn't there.

• leeCal
    edited May 2021
    The word bored was probably first used in around 1768 apparently. So presumably before then there was no boredom, lol.

did I hear you say “meh”? 

― Dalai Lama XIV

• 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,368 Disability Gamechanger
    Interesting @66Mustang

I can't say I've ever found the sound of a car door that comforting, though I guess it's one of those that I'd maybe notice if it wasn't there.
    It's more that people like a sound and a clicking sensation when they are opening and closing things, like a door or a lid, or pressing a button, just to give that confirmation that the thing has indeed closed or the button has been pressed. Apparently it is totally unnecessary from a functional perspective!
  • Dragonslayer
    Dragonslayer Community member Posts: 2,165 Pioneering

A few more 'true' facts. Or so I'm told. ?

In Israel, it is illegal to bring bears to the beach.

In Switzerland, it is illegal to flush the toilet after 10pm.

In Utah, birds have the right of way on a highway.

Well, there are some strange things in the world. ?

• Caz_Alumni
    Caz_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 621 Pioneering
    This thread is swiftly becoming our very own version of 'Q.I.'  :D
    Online Community Coordinator (she/her)

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.

Brightness