Hi, my name is Peppermint76! I need advice on working with arthritis — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is Peppermint76! I need advice on working with arthritis

Peppermint76
Peppermint76 Community member Posts: 7 Listener
edited May 2021 in Work and employment
Hi I'm new here. I suffer with gout and osteoarthritis. I do work. But I'm finding it harder and harder to cope with pain. I would love to keep working. As I value my independence and enjoy getting out their. I have been in my new job less than 1 year. But had time off due to gout and I'm working with gout  that's move into my right hand and wrist. I need pointing in the right direction in finding out information on working with arthritis. As these normal jobs are taking a toll on my health rapid. I was told by Dr's to give up work. But I don't want to. But it's coming where I have to as I can't cope. Any advice would be fantastic. I'm 44 and want to keep on going. But when Im not at work I'm a cripple with whole body pain. Thank you for making me welcome. I'm really sad on my situation and unsure where to turn or what to do. Please advise thank you very much xx
Tagged:

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi there 

Have you considered if any reasonable adjustments may help you to continue work 

It may be worth asking to be referred to oh for a work place assessment.  They can then make any recommendations to you and your employer 

Are there any other roles within the company that would suit your needs better ? 

Just a few things to consider 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Peppermint76 - & welcome to the community.  :) I'm sorry your problems are making things harder due to pain. Would you be able to reduce your hours to see if that helped? Asking for reasonable adjustments, as Jane mentions, is also an option. Scope has some info on this: https://www.scope.org.uk/advice-and-support/work-careers/reasonable-adjustments/

• Peppermint76
    Thanks for all your advice. I have been with my company less than 1 year. I already have taken 6 weeks off due to gout in my foot. I'm now working with gout in my right hand. I need to use my hands aswell as I work for a betting company. I travel upto 3 hours everyday for work. I'm still on probation period. I need to be able to open and shut the shop. But I can not do it on my own. I work 20 hours but the shifts can be 9 hours and 3 hours of travelling. I can't do it no more. I need a job closer to home plus I have a 10 year old aswell. I spoke to my manager. I was told you have to do open and closing plus long hours. Yes she knows I have health concerns and conditions. But don't understand the impact on me and my home life. I'm getting home 11.30 or later of a night now covid restrictons have been lifted. This why I'm really stuck and don't know where to turn or what to do. I would like to continue to work. But not like this it's making a very bad impact on my life. Do I give up work due to health issues because I can't keep on much longer. What do i do. As normal jobs are now getting to much for me
  • janer1967
    Hi again 

As I suggested try get referred to oh they may recommend you can't eitk anymore and go fir medical dismissal 

You can leave on medical grounds but I would see what the company policy is as there may be some compensation if you are medically dismissed 
  • Peppermint76
    Hi and thanks. Where do I stand benefits and money wise. Should I contact citizens advice and see what they say. I'm not sure weather I would be dismissed on health issues. As they are a massive etting company and they don't do discrimination. I think this is down to person issues,of how I am feeling. Thanks janer1967
  • janer1967
    If they are a big company they will have a medical dismissal policy and it isn't discrimination it is doing the right thing if you are no longer able to work and is better for you in respect of benefits application  

Contact welfare rights rather than Cab they will do benefits check 

You can use benefits calculator there is one on here in benefits section  this will tell you what you are able to claim 

New style esa may be possible or uc 

Any more questions just ask 
  • Peppermint76
    I wanted to ask. I get pip. In November I sent my forms back for a review. Ready for March. I had my review by phone 3 days ago. But since January this year I have not been receiving any pip money at all. Who do I contact about receiving no money or it bring stopped. I sent my forms back within 1 week. I was told they never got them until January. Can they stop my pip without warning
  • janer1967
    They can stop your PIP if the award had ended which I presume it had if they didn't get your review forms 

You need to contact pip to query the stopped payments 
  • Peppermint76
    Janer1967. Thank you very much for your help and guidance. It's the first time I have been through any of this also my health is worse. I will let you know how I get on and the result xx
  • chiarieds
    Hi @Peppermint76 - did you get a Certificate of postage when you posted your review form? Also my understanding was that people had been given 3 months in which to send their initial claims/reviews off for a while (but not sure when that started). Any way you could ring the PIP enquiry line to try & find out more (Tel: 0800 121 4433). This all sounds a bit odd to me, as, if your PIP had ended, surely you would have needed to put in a new claim, yet, even tho it's said they didn't receive your review form until January, you seem to have just had a phone assessment about your review! Questions to be asked. Your PIP should not change until you get a decision on the assessment you've literally just had. The PIP enquiry line is open 9am -5pm Mon-Fri, & it's best to ring first thing as otherwise it can take some time to get through. Please let us know how you get on.
  • Peppermint76
    Chia thank you also. Their are lots of little things that do not add up. I will call in the morning and I will let you know what is said. Yes I had the letter with the form saying I have 3 months. No I did not get a postal receipt. But I got a letter from PIP saying about the deadline for forms. I called the and told them I sent them back. Then January got a message to say thank you for the forms. Then that was the 25th January. Its a bit of a mix. Soon as I find out I willet you know xx
  • chiarieds
    Thank you for your reply @Peppermint76 - then they received your review within the 3 month deadline. Hope you get some answers, & thank you for saying you will let us know the outcome.
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Peppermint76 and welcome to the community. I'm sorry to hear that work is a big challenge for you at the minute, it seems as though your condition combined with the long working hours are impacting your mental health. 

I hope you've found the advice from other members helpful and that it helps you towards the best way of taking care of yourself. 
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Peppermint76
    Janer1967 and everyone who helped advised and listened ☺️ Just a quick update. I contacted PIP. This is what I was told. From last December I was under investigation for fraud claims. Due to my ex partner saying I was lying about my condition and what's wrong. I was watched up until 1 week of my review. They knew everything about me. Yes my pip was stopped which I was told I will not get any money back. Today I got a message from the dwp saying. My assessment papers they have received and it will take 8 weeks for a decision. To grant me my PIP back again. My ex works for the hospital and made up 19 pages of utter rubbish. Because I told PIP I was going to seek a solicitors help and the local news on Monday. I received a message that quick. As for work they are not willing to budge so I started looking for a new part time job closer to home or from home. Thank you all so much for the support and advice. In the mean time if anything changes or I get a new job or my pip back. I will let you know. Thank you again ❤️
  • janer1967
    Hi again 
     if your PIP was stopped due to the fraud investigation they would normally let you know and also I thought interview you under caution  bug I might be wrong 

The wait for decision is estimated at 8 weeks 

If you get an award I would challenge the fraud decision as that will show you should have been entitled 

Brightness