Refusal to make Access to work adjustments — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Refusal to make Access to work adjustments

JayT
JayT Community member Posts: 3 Listener
edited May 2021 in Work and employment
Hi all

I have a diagnosis of Fibromyalgia and although i experience the pain etc my main symptom is cognitive (thinking, reading, writing).  I have a meeting this week to discuss the ATW recommendations but it appears they are going to decline the recommendations, which are minor (software and voice recorder) and have no effect on others roles etc. 

If they decline these what would be my options?

thanks 
Tagged:

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi there 

If they refuse they need to give you reasons for the refusal.  Then you need to decide if their regusal is reasonable 

They are only bound to consider reasonable adjustments and if not reasonable they can refuse 

This is all presumption at present so until you have a decision you need to wait and take it from there 

You can appeal the decision in the first instance 
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 46,788 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @JayT welcome to the forum as Jane has said its best to wait till you've had the meeting and see what the out come is. Then you can go from there, good luck with your meeting.
  • euro
    euro Community member Posts: 73 Courageous
    I am not an expert, but ACAS are and I have found them very useful for employment related advice.  According to them, your employer has a legal responsibility to make reasonable adjustments and they would have to explain to you at the meeting and put in writing what they will do to support you.   They also have to tell you the reasons why any adjustments recommended by Access to Work (ATW) are unreasonable.

You didn't mention what your job role is or the size of the company you work for.  They can have a major bearing on what is reasonable or not.   If you're happy to share those details, perhaps between us there are at least a few members who have been in those shoes and can let you know what their employer did to help (or reasons they couldn't do what was recommended by ATW or get funding to implement the changes).

Good luck either way @JayT.  I hope the meeting surprises you and you get everything you need to continue in your job. 

Links for ACAS and ATW if you need them below .

https://www.acas.org.uk/reasonable-adjustments

https://www.gov.uk/access-to-work
  • JayT
    Thanks Everyone. 

@euro I work in a personal development role, and we have approx 65 employees, which is growing bigger and bigger.  My role includes workshops, booklet development, logistics (planning sessions etc).

Hope that helps. 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @JayT - & welcome to the community from me also. :)  Scope also has some info on ATW, which may help a little. Please see: https://www.scope.org.uk/advice-and-support/access-to-work-grant-scheme/  Please let us all know how you get on with your meeting.

• MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    Did access to work say they would make a contribution to buying those items too?
  • JayT
    MarkN88 said:
    Did access to work say they would make a contribution to buying those items too?
    Yeah they have agreed to pay some towards the adjustments. Approx £350 of £1400. 

Brightness