Would change of address affect ESA? Would council tax reduction affect ESA? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Would change of address affect ESA? Would council tax reduction affect ESA?

Options
LadyL
LadyL Community member Posts: 46 Connected
Hi,

I hope everyone is well and safe. :)

I recently moved out of my parent's house during Covid, but didn't realise you need to notify DWP of your change of address.

My mum still supports me as she lives 5 minutes walk away. Also, I have been shielding due to being clinically extremely vulnerable. 

Of course, I know I need to do this a.s.a.p. now. Just feeling quite anxious about it. :neutral: With everything going on, I didn't even think about it. 

I have been doing 9 hours permitted work at my local library (pre-Covid), but fear I may no longer have my job soon. So I will not be able to manage without my ESA. :(

So, I would really appreciate any thoughts on the following to put my mind at ease, at least a little:

1. Does a change of address affect your ESA (I'm in the support group)? 

2. Would making a claim for Council Tax Reduction also affect your ESA?

Thank you in advance.
Tagged:

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi there 

A change of address will have no effect on your esa ad you will be staying in the same local authority 

Also council tax reduction won't affect it either 
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited May 2021
    Options
    A change of address does not affect your ESA regardless of where you move to (unless moving abroad). As janer says, claiming CTR does not affect your ESA. Are you now paying rent? If so are you claiming anything to help with the rent?
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • LadyL
    Options
    Hi janer1967,

Thank you so much for your reply.  :)

Been feeling so anxious and overwhelmed lately due to everything. 

My mum suggested that I apply for the council tax reduction as I may be entitled... but I was just too afraid to submit the online application due to mention of the DWP being notified.

I've found it really hard to adjust to life after being diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis and Fibromyalgia at 28. Before my diagnosis, I was studying for an MSc in Information Science and hoping to pursue a career in London. My health just changed everything in my life and I've suffered with anxiety ever since due to uncertainty about my future.

Thanks again for your help. You've really made me feel better. 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Your welconeglad you feel better we are always here to support 

We all know how dealing with disability affects your life 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I'm glad that caloctti and Janer1967 have been able to help @LadyL :) Welcome to the community.

It can certainly be difficult adjusting to life after a new diagnosis. Have you sought any support for your mental health? Some people find that it really helps to talk things through with a professional, or perhaps to take some medication to help reduce anxiety.

What's made you worried that you might lose your job?
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • LadyL
    Options
    Hi calcotti, 

Thank you for your reply.

No, I am not paying rent, but I have a mortgage. I don't think I could have afforded to pay rent. I was on the housing register for a long time but nothing suitable came up. 

My payments are smaller than typical rent but they will be over at least 30 years due to my low income and health. Unless my circumstances miraculously change. 

I was fortunate enough that my mum decided to take her pension early and gift me a deposit. She also borrowed part of it from her own home so that I could live a more normal life as possible in my own home.

This was due to living at home at with my parents was impacting my mental health and making my conditions worse, as my dad found it difficult to understand me because of my health conditions and subsequently (maybe subconsciously) treated me very differently to my siblings. This included not interacting with me unless necessary. So I used to feel like I was in his way and tried to stay out of his way. A lot of the time, worse due to Covid and him working from home, I would stay in the living room and not even get something to eat, as I would have to pass through the dining room where he was working to get to the kitchen. 

My mum still supports me, but moving into a place of my own has helped my quality of life. I have even started baking when I feel well enough and my dad has started treating me better. I can also take naps without feeling guilty.
  • LadyL
    Options
    Thank you Janer. I am so glad I joined this community. 

There have been a lot of times when I feel quite alone and I feel like no one really understands how I feel or what I've been going through.

It's really nice to know that this isn't the case and there are people going through the same things and people who do understand better than anyone. :)
  • LadyL
    Options
    Hi Tori,

Thank you. :)

I have tried CBT before for my OCD, but the person trying to help me wasn't the right fit.

Then I was referred for counselling by my GP, but because of so many people needing it they were only able to offer me online counselling, which consisted of using a website to work through worksheets to identify how I felt and to teach myself coping mechanisms. I got feedback from a mentor/counsellor  once every few weeks. Once I completed it, I was discharged.

So, unfortunately, my experience of counselling hasn't been very helpful so far.

As for medication, I have been given amitriptyline to help me relax and to help me sleep as I have trouble sleeping, as well as for the pain due to my Fibromyalgia. However, due to my RA, I find it difficult to open the bottle at times, which has a push down and twist mechanism. So I can only take it when my mum comes to visit. I tried the tablets but they caused me to have side effects. :(

As for my job, I was shielding to Covid as being CEV. From September last year, I was able to work from home by answering calls from library customers. However, due to easing of restrictions I was referred for an OH assessment by my manager. The OH assessor spent 10 minutes on the phone with me. The outcome of the report was that the library is a moderate Covid risk area and I am in the 50-69 year Covid-age group, but the risk to me is low and no adjustments are required. She also said my Asthma is controlled. I am in one of the Indian Variant hotspots and I am concerned for my health as it is likely cases will go up once restrictions are eased further and masks are no longer necessary. 

Additionally, I am currently suffering from acid reflux symptoms and pre- Covid I ended up in hospital with extreme abdominal pain. They did not find out the reason but they had to give me Fentanyl to control the pain and an ultrasound showed I had a contracted gallbladder. Both are yet to be investigated, but my hospital appointment was delayed due to Covid. I am on Lansoprazole and taking Gaviscon until I can be seen to relieve my symptoms, but some days are much worse than others which exacerbates my Asthma. Therefore, I feel that wearing a mask for long periods will only make it worse. Subsequently, I do not feel safe working in a face-to-face customer environment without a mask, especially as the library is a high touch area and there is no guarantee everyone will adhere to social distancing. 

Therefore, I am really worried about returning to my role in the current climate. I have contacted Unison and hoping my manager will consider letting me continue answering calls from home for a bit longer until things are safer and my symptoms have been investigated and are more under control.

Meanwhile, I am trying to look for something suitable as I don't want to stop working completely. However, due to the current climate and many people out of work, it just seems really difficult, especially as I can only work a few hours due to my health issues.

Sorry for the long reply. :neutral:

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.