Boredom — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Boredom

leeCal
leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
hi, just wondering what people do to avoid feeling bored?

I sometimes read a paperback but perhaps you have a novel way?
?

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
― Dalai Lama XIV

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    I know what you mean 

I bake or cook and watch TV but also done a few online courses 

I am currently working with my sensory team to get me out on my own to a coffee shop a very short distance from me . All going well learning to use what little vision I have to keep me safe in my power chair and look for familiar focal points 

Will be great to just go for a coffee and cake to get out
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,368 Disability Gamechanger
    I have these problems too so would be interested to hear what suggestions people have.

I walk the dog once a day with a family member and also go out for a drive with a family member once a day. Usually we combine the drive with going to a shop or something but sometimes just go for a drive. I feel like a bit of a burden doing this because people have to come out with me to get me out of the house but they assure me I'm not a burden so I don't really know!

I also am doing an online course and also play some video games although I don't find video games keep me occupied for more than 30-45 mins these days. As a teenager I could play for 12 hours straight but there is no way I could do that now!
  • leeCal
    edited May 2021
    Good you’re doing online courses @66Mustang  and @janer1967 ?

Speaking of bored, I once created a board game. A lot easier to do than you’d think and a lot of fun to make and then play. 

The one one I made was based on fantasy, a witch and the players were monks etc, and it took around three hours to play, but that does depend on the size of the board and how many ‘chance’ stations you have. I suppose in theory it could even be played on your own, better with two or more however. 

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    ThT sounds great @leeCal very creative

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    You're full of puns today @leeCal!
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • wisperdragonfly
    wisperdragonfly Community member Posts: 13 Connected
    @leeCal I get bored quite quickly too, due to my concentration span (bi polar brain). 
    But to combat boredom I do a few things;
    I like to bake/cook, write, read, paint.

After not working much (just odd contracts here and there) for the past 9 years, I have found volunteering in my local scope shop (cheetham hill Manchester uk) twice a week, really breaks my week up and gives me a purpose xxx
  • leeCal
    Well done for working in the local scope shop! That would definitely break up the week nicely and meeting the general public must be quite fun too. ?

― Dalai Lama XIV

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,524 Disability Gamechanger
    I tend to make sure I have at least one thing to do every day (if i'm well enough) gives me some sense of purpose in an otherwise boring life.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• leeCal
    edited May 2021
    @Tori_Scope, when I created the chance cards, or fortune cards I found something of interest. Each card was a scenario, which of course would send you backwards or forwards towards the goals, and of course the goals themselves were all opportunities and scenarios as well. 

By gathering these scenarios together i immediately realised that they were in fact rather good outlines for the chapters of a book! And so I wrote a book based on the board game. Though I sent the manuscript to several publishers the book remains unpublished. Nevertheless I thought I’d share this method for creating chapter scenarios, it’s actually a very easy way to do so. 
    Happy writing ?

(As a matter of fact the story was very similar to jumanji and was written by me before the film was released, though not before the book jumanji was written, unbeknown to me.)

― Dalai Lama XIV

• wisperdragonfly
    @leeCal yeah it's really quite fun. I work Tuesdays and Thursdays for 4 hours. Considering I have severe anxiety disorder I am still enjoying mixing with customers and staff on the scope team!

At the moment I'm not too bored as on top of volunteering, I'm organising a charity skydive dive from 15000 feet, ill be raising much needed funds for Scope to continue their work and dedication to equality for disabled people.
    I'm also having all my kitchen ripped out and a brand new one in and I'm struggling with the whole people in the house/everything is everywhere thing, but it needs doing xxx
  • wisperdragonfly
    @Tori_Scope I'd love to read your book, it sounds right up my street. I also write vampire erotic fiction and some poetry xxx
  • wisperdragonfly
    That's my just giving scope link. I know money is tight right now but Could I please ask if you have even just £1 to spare, would you consider sponsoring me.

Sorry if this 8s not allowed here though xxx 
    Thank you kindly 
    Love and light xxx
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    @wisperdragonfly

Wow, a parachute jump, you're braver than me! I wish you the very best of luck and thank you for choosing Scope as your cause to raise money.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • fluffycat
    fluffycat Community member Posts: 233 Pioneering
    If bored, thirsty or hungry sometimes if can take a magic formula to satisfy these situations.

Hard to get motivated to do anything sometimes. 

LEGO is my greatest satisfaction / boredom buster though. (something that tickles the cognitive taste-buds)

Theme parks can amuse though takes planning. 

• Tori_Scope
    something that tickles the cognitive taste-buds
    This is a fantastic phrase @fluffycat :D 

• leeCal
    Years ago I’d paint warhammer models for the children, very small brushes and models so it took time and concentration, an ideal boredom buster. 

My children are now grown of course and we sold mostly all of the models, however there are other models available such as airfix models which would require both painting and assembly.

― Dalai Lama XIV

• Tori_Scope
    My brother used to love Warhammer @leeCal. I remember him spending hours painting the models and playing it with his friends, and at the shops. I wonder if those shops still exist?

Do you think you might give airfix models a go?

• leeCal
    I’m pretty sure there’s still a shop not that far from me in another town @Tori_Scope
    As for airfix models, no, I don’t think I will be doing any, though I haven’t looked to see what models they have, must be quite an extensive range by now. 

They should also be displayed when finished, so you need room for them.

anyone else got any boredom buster ideas? 

?

― Dalai Lama XIV

• OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,587 Disability Gamechanger
    leeCal said:

anyone else got any boredom buster ideas? 
    I've been considering getting a dart board set. They come in a small cupboard that takes up very little room, could be a good 'home based' past time for the days I can't get out.  Still researching the best one and keeping an eye out for deals currently.

Brightness