Hi, I'm may63! How much longer will I get SSP? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, I'm may63! How much longer will I get SSP?

may63
may63 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
My question to anyone who can help is this. I have been off work on sick leave since the end of 2020. I am disabled and the job I do may worsen the problem I have been having with my leg. My company keep in touch with me every 3 to 4 weeks and have said they can support me up to a point. My company sick pay ran out about 9 weeks ago however I have no idea how many weeks of SSP I still have. Personnel couldn't find this information for me either. I feel I can't continue working and have thought about applying for ESA. I am not sure if the company pay me of due to being off sick for so long if I will receive any compensation from them. Also how can I find out how many weeks SSP I still have.
I know it's a lot to ask but if anyone could help I would be extremely grateful. I also get PIP.
Thanks for letting me join.
Elizabeth
Tagged:

Comments

• loulou_85
    loulou_85 Community member Posts: 12 Listener
    Your work should be able to advised on SSP, you normally get notice when it’s ending from them and get a form to apply for ESA, I had to from December as I wasn’t getting sick pay in work. I got paid off last week due to being sick for so long and occ health said I wasn’t fit to return. 
    Get in touch with your manager and ask them when SSP is due to end. 

Awful stressful situation for you. GL
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi there 

You get ssp for 28 weeks your payroll dept should be able to tell you how many weeks you have had or you can look at your payslips 

You will need to check the company policy regarding medical dismissal to see if there is any pay off as it isn't a statutory requirement 

You can start a new style esa claim 3 months b4 your ssp ends but won't get any payment till it does,  you will need to send ssp1 form from your employer and provide fit notes 

At your next catch up with your company I would ask them what your options are going forward 

Have you considered any reasonable adjustments 

If you have any further questions just ask 

• Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @may63 and welcome to our community.  How are you doing today?

I'm sorry you've not been well and your leg is causing you some pain, are you getting medical care to help with that?  

I hope the advice you've received has helped clarify the situation with your Statutory Sick Pay (SSP).  For more information, visit the Government's SSP webpage

Whilst if you have any more questions, please don't be afraid to ask.  Also, I've tweaked the title of your post and moved it to our 'What benefits am I entitled to?' category to help others who might have a similar question in the future. 

Best wishes and please let us know how you get on.    
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    If your household income is now low due to being on SSP only you may qualify for Universal Credit depending on your household circumstances. Unlike ESA, you can claim and receive this while receiving SSP. Use a benefit calculator to assess possible entitlement. https://www.gov.uk/benefits-calculators
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • may63
    Thank you all for your advice and good wishes. I have a meeting with bosses tomorrow so will try again to get the information abut my remaining SSP.
    Glad I found this forum as it helps if you can trust people who may have been in similar situations. I am new to all this.
    Thanks once again.
    Elizabeth
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @may63 :) Chatting to them sounds like a good idea to me. Please do let us know how you get on, and whether the meeting clears any of it up for you. 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • may63
    Hi everyone, 
    Quick update. Had a telephone meeting with my managers on Thursday. I asked again about how many weeks SSP I have remaining but personnel officer says she can't find that out. So I have written to head office to see if they respond. Otherwise, they are very supportive in trying to get me back to work. I am thinking about that and will see what the doctor advises me next week. I will post if I ever find out about the SSP. It's been quite confusing as on some sites I read that your 28 weeks SSP entitlement is to be added up over a 3 year period. I have no idea how much I have used in the last 3 years which is making it difficult. 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi there thanks for the update 

It isn't 3 years for the 28 weeks ssp it he 28 weeks starts again each financial year unless you continue to be off over the new tax year then it 8dnt updated till you have returned to work fir a period of time 

This shouldn't be hard to find out your payroll team should get a report telling them what is remaining and in fact they should be alerted around 6 weeks prior to ssp ending so they can  complete the ssp1 form so you can then claim benefits 

• calcotti
    edited May 2021
    may63 said:..I read that your 28 weeks SSP entitlement is to be added up over a 3 year period.
    janer1967 said:..28 weeks starts again each financial year unless you continue to be off over the new tax year
    The 3 year period is only relevant in unusual situations - see below.
    SSP entitlement has nothing to do the financial year. The 28 week entitleemnt starts again once you have been back at work for more than 8 weeks.
    Linked periods of sickness

If you have regular periods of sickness, they may count as ‘linked’. To be linked, the periods must:

• last 4 or more days each
    • be 8 weeks or less apart

You’re no longer eligible for SSP if you have a continuous series of linked periods that lasts more than 3 years.

May63 - it may be this last bit that has confused you in respect of 3 years. This only kicks in if somebody has lots of short periods of sickness separated by less than 8 weeks. So say they had one week sick, seven weeks at work, another week off etc. After 3 years they would cease to be entitled to SSP even though they would not have received 28 weeks.

Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • calcotti
    What date did your period of sickness start? Add 28 weeks. That is your last day of SSP entitlement. You are still accruing holiday entitlement while sick so will have some weeks of holiday pay due. Did you look into UC entitlement?
  • may63
    Hi,
    I finally got a result. I contacted head office about the amount of SSP remaining and after a week I got the reply. Thanks to all those who gave me advice.
    Take care,
    Elizabeth

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.