100 Miles in May for Mind — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

100 Miles in May for Mind

coylygirl
coylygirl Community member Posts: 283 Pioneering
Well I have completed my latest challenge and raised some money for Mind in the process.  I am currently taking an online course with the charity - 'Developing Resilience' which is really supportive and helpful.  It is a free course so it's great to be able to give something back.  I have enjoyed getting outside in the fresh air every day, despite the wind, rain and hail.  I have decided to set myself a goal of walking 1 million steps over the next 3 months, which is about 11000 steps, or 5 1/2 miles a day.  It will be challenging but I think I am up for it.  Hoping for some better weather.

Comments

• 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,366 Disability Gamechanger
    edited May 2021
    I think this is a good goal and a nice cause to raise money for.

Walking is really helpful not just for the body but for the mind as well so you will be benefitting yourself on top of raising some money for a good cause!

I walk 4-5 miles a day, though you wouldn't know it to look at me, and I really enjoy it. I can only imagine how big I'd be if I didn't walk, probably the size of a house.
  • coylygirl
    @66Mustang Thanks for your reply, I walked in March and May but didn't in April and my mental health suffered terribly as a result.  I just needed that motivation to get me out there.  4-5 miles is a great daily distance and well done if you have been getting out there in the wind and rain.  
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,366 Disability Gamechanger
    edited May 2021
    If you need the motivation to get out for a walk, and you are an animal person, I can recommend a dog! You can be feeling miserable and down and not up for going out and then the dog will look at you with a look on its face "please take me out", and they are totally non-judgemental - they just want their walk (and food). :smiley:
  • coylygirl
    I'm not keen on dogs to be honest.  On one of my walks, this dog came racing up behind me , barking and snarling like the hound of the baskervilles.  I was sure it was at least a rotweiller and cowered into the hedge.  Its owner called it away and I tured round to be confronted with some kind of wire haired terrier!  I felt so silly  :smiley:
  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Wishing you all the best with your new challenge @coylygirl! :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    You're doing amazingly well with walking @coylygirl - I think it does give you an incentive when you know you're helping a charity too. My daughter did a (less ambitious) challenge of walking 60 miles to raise funds for Gt. Ormond Street Hospital recently, & thoroughly enjoyed it with her little dog.
    Good luck with your next goal; an incredible challenge, but I'm sure you'll do it. :)
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Well done on completing your challenge @coylygirl

I agree that the course sounds great too. Have you learnt lots so far? 

Best of luck for the next challenge, and let's hope the weather holds out for you :) 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • coylygirl
    Thanks @Tori_Scope, weather is splendid at the moment and another 6 miler today with the local walking group.  I have learnt from my Mind sessions that I function well in groups and enjoy the interaction so my CPN is looking into that for me.  The course is thought provoking and reflective, just what I need.  Take care and good wishes to you  :)
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Well done on the 6 miles! And it's really great that your CPN is looking into more interactive groups for you @coylygirl :) A positive step forward.
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 46,681 Disability Gamechanger
    @coylygirl well done, for helping others, I'm sure you will complete the challenge. 
  • coylygirl
    @Sandy_123 Thank you, I find that helping others helps me more x

Brightness