Will a job effect my mum's ESA? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Will a job effect my mum's ESA?

cali2811
cali2811 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
I am 17 and looking for a part-time job. If I get a job, will this effect my mum's ESA income? what are the possible variables? Will this also effect her DLA, PIP or Housing Benefit? Thank you.
Tagged:

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi there 

If you get a job there will be no change to pip as it isn't means tested 

Any child benefit or child element of esa will stop 

Council tax you will count as adult so 8f she gets a reduction  as single person this will stop 

As for esa sorry I don't know the answer 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    As I understand it (and understood it) if you get a part time job and work less than 24 hours per week mums benefits will not be affected, I assume you are still in full time non advanced education?
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited May 2021
    janer1967 said: Council tax you will count as adult so 8f she gets a reduction  as single person this will stop 
    I don't think that is correct. A 17 year old is a disregarded person for Council Tax, employment is not relevant. The disregard would cease when they become 18 (unless in full time education)
    https://www.gov.uk/council-tax/who-has-to-pay
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    janer1967 said: Any child benefit ... will stop 
    Assuming the other conditions to qualify for Child Benefit are met then entitlement to Child Benefit will only stop if the ‘child’ is in remunerative work which is defined as work of 24 hours or more, 
    https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-manuals/child-benefit-technical-manual/cbtm07028
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Sorry for giving incorrect info 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @cali2811 :) It's good to hear you're looking to start working. How have you been finding that?

I hope that the above comments and links have helped to clear that up a bit. Are you still in full time education? Please do let us know if you have any further questions.
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.