What are the laws regarding guideline for companies with clients with disabilities — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

What are the laws regarding guideline for companies with clients with disabilities

charlie79
charlie79 Community member Posts: 258 Pioneering
I called my Broadband and telephone provider. I don't think I'm allowed to mention companies name due to Scope guidelines.
I was enquiring if there was any deals regarding my movie channel and entertainment package.

I was told the broadband side was only on line which these packages fell under.

Unfortunately I have problems understanding the website and due to certain disabilities require help. I mentioned that I had disabilities on the call and the advisor for this company on customer service advised he wasn't aware of any laws regarding the company helping assist people with disabilities or Mental Health.
I was quite upset I have moments when I can focus but 90 percent of the time struggle

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi there 
    I'm not sure about laws specific to your query but most companies claim they are accessible 

I would imagine you got a very unhelpful call handler 

I would try again  and b4 if you can see there accessibility policy online you could quote that 

If you can't ask on the call for them to read it to you this may then remind them how to help you 

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    I'm sorry to hear you had that experience @charlie79. Someone close to me recently had a similar experience with an energy company when they called up regarding an outstanding payment. They ended up hanging up and ringing back to speak to another agent, who was a lot more helpful and understanding. As Janer1967 said, this can sometimes be a good option. You can always make a complaint about the agent you spoke to if you feel as though they didn't treat you fairly or with respect. 

The EHRC website states that:
    The duty to make reasonable adjustments aims to make sure that if you are a disabled person, you can use an organisation’s services as close as it is reasonably possible to get to the standard usually offered to non-disabled people.

If an organisation providing goods, facilities or services to the public or a section of the public, or carrying out public functions, or running an association finds there are barriers to disabled people in the way it does things, then it must consider making adjustments (in other words, changes). If those adjustments are reasonable for that organisation to make, then it must make them.

The duty is ‘anticipatory’. This means an organisation cannot wait until a disabled person wants to use its services, but must think in advance (and on an ongoing basis) about what disabled people with a range of impairments might reasonably need, such as people who have a visual impairment, a hearing impairment, a mobility impairment or a learning disability.

An organisation is not required to do more than it is reasonable for it to do. What is reasonable for an organisation to do depends, among other factors, on its size and nature, and the nature of the goods, facilities or services it provides, or the public functions it carries out, or the association it runs.

Does that make sense?

National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.

Brightness