How to live with chronic pain — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

How to live with chronic pain

janer1967
janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
Ch5 tonight at 10pm programme following 3 people who live daily with chronic pain 

Might be interest to some of you 

Comments

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Definitely interesting so thank you for saying. :)
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Thanks for flagging that up Janer1967, I'm sure it'll be interesting to a lot of people! I'll have to remember to watch it on catch-up.
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
    91332 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Will give it a look , thanks ?
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 46,788 Disability Gamechanger
    Yes I have it on
  • janer1967
    @Sandy_123 what did you think to it 
  • Sandy_123
    edited May 2021
    It was intresting, I know how they feel with pain and having to go through endless new pain killers, back to physio and it rolls around and around.
    Now I'm glued to a&e after dark
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    edited May 2021
    (Note from moderator, please try to avoid making generalised claims without providing evidence, and ensure that you make a distinction between addiction and dependency. If you want advice on managing your pain, you should speak with your GP, you can also find helpful information here from the NHS.)

(Removed by moderator, generalised and unsubstantiated claim) co codimol  have a warning of addiction after 7 days the stringer pain killers always do 
  • chiarieds
     I found the bit about the implant for the man suffering with chronic migraines interesting as I hadn't heard about that before. Other than that I have to say that my mainstays are doing physio exercises, & I take CBD (without the THC that gives you a high, & I wouldn't want to try medicinal cannabis). I do also have prescribed medication for my neurological pain, which dampens it down a bit, so it's the combination of these things that helps me, tho I still have pain every day.
  • janer1967
    That wasn't exactly what the professionals  on the programme were saying @lisathomas50

They did explain how pain killers become ineffective 

I am prescribed co codomol every prescription and gave been for years 

I did used to take them daily as prescribed but I only take them on rare occasions now my leg has gone 

I didn't get addicted or have any withdrawal from them

I do know they cam be addictive but why them do GPS 0resct8be them for such long periods 
  • Sandy_123
    I think I've tried every pain killer on the market except morphine, tramadol I only go to if I'm desperate
  • janer1967
    @chiarieds test i hadn't seen the implant before 

I did find physio a good thing to show though as so many people don't think they should exercise if they are in pain bit this demonstrated how it can help 
  • janer1967
    @Sandy_123 I have had oral morphine but only couple of doses after having my leg amputated under local spinal block when the block wore off 
  • chiarieds
    That's a big generalisation @lisathomas50 - whilst some medication for pain is best used for acute cases rather than chronic pain conditions (particularly opioids), they do not necessarily become addictive. There's a difference in being dependent on a drug or being addicted to it. There is certainly a danger in people buying over the counter meds such as Co-codamol, but prescribed meds are a different matter. So, prescribed pain killers do not become addictive after 7 days, tho it's realised that long term use of opioids doesn't help chronic pain.
  • Sandy_123
    Yeah I think you would  of needed it with that Jane. Couldn't of been a pleasant experience for you. I've supported people who have had same surgery emotionaly and physically. 
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    @janer1967 that is the argument I didn't watch the programme  I am talking from experience as a pharmacy advisor for boots chemist 

As you say some prople don't get addicted  but alot of people do and ad you said some tablets aren't effective after a certain period 

Some drs just carry on prescribing even though they know the risk but on all strong tablets there are warnings so I supose the dr expects people to be responsible 

Some drs only prescribe pain killers as a last resort or only for a short period they now try other ways to manage pain  it has been a long standing argument addiction and prescription medication 
  • janer1967
    @Sandy_123 that's great you supported people it is the emotional side I struggled with more than pain 

Tbh I felt physically so much better as I had been riddled with infections for 2 years prior hence why they amputated after the 3rd bout of sepsis 
  • chiarieds
    As a former pharmacy advisor for Boots the chemist, I'm surprised you don't know the difference between dependence & addiction @lisathomas50
  • Sandy_123
    edited May 2021
    Yes, they don't do it unless they have to. It's a grievance process and the brain don't help thinking the leg is still there. I've seen some people after hard work get fitted with prosthesis and I've seen a whole family cry at there relatives walking trying it.
  • janer1967
    I have prosthetic bur don't use it since my sight problems 

I can't see uneven surfaces or feel them as my other leg has no feeling from knee down either 

Also my knee dislocates when I try and use the leg 

But it is something I am addressing with the sensory team 
  • Sandy_123
    Yes if they can come up with solutions and they have wonderful things that can help. They are pretty good to be fair.

Brightness