My garden is doing my head in — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

My garden is doing my head in

gillian72
gillian72 Community member Posts: 304 Pioneering
Hi all hope ur all safe an well ?? I've got myself in a right mess if u look at my profile pic yes this is my garden I've done this garden 4 times last year already it's just getting to much for me,an to make matters worse last nite some one has tried to yank my gate open an now I've got half a gate left I should have rang landlord to get it sorted but I'm gonna have to sort garden so someone can get to it , this is gonna be 48 hours without sleep by 2moz, as well, im gonna have to tell him it happen tonight when I ring 2moz lol, I've been telling landlord I'm sick of doing it coz I only moved in here coz there was no garden back an front were both pebbled so would I have a leg to stand on over this argument I even have to buy weed killer all the time as well, its my contact says I have to look after garden it's a joke I can't even manage inside the house as it is, an costs me nearly half my pip money on rent top up too, I need to move out find a flat, its all getting on top of me atm, any advice on this matter I'd be very greatfull for xx ? ?

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi there 

Local councils sometimes offer gardening services 

I pay a local lad to do mine gives him some spending money and doesn't cost me much 

There are also be some volunteers in the area that could help 
  • gillian72
    @janer1967 ? Hi janer , hope ur well , yes but it's a joke I always have a stand off with the landlord over this every year he sent his mum an dad to do it a couple of yrs. ago lol but rest of the time I give in an do it coz I can't stand looking at it every weed pulled out a different kind of weed just grows in its place I just feel it's unfair that I have to do it , it feels like he just did a rush job in covering it up so he could rent it out quick ??
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @gillian72 How's it going?  Have you managed to get some sleep and rest?  Did you ring your landlord?

In addition to @janer1967 's suggestions, it might be worth contacting the Gardening with Disabilities Trust to see if they have any advice.  They provide grants that you can apply for here and have an email address which you could send your query to.  

You mentioned that you want to move to a flat, and I wondered if you were on the local council house/social housing provider waiting list?  If not, here's the Citizens Advice 'Getting a council home' webpage for more information on how to get started.  

Please let us know how you get on and I hope you are keeping well. 
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • Lou67
    Lou67 Community member Posts: 6,622 Disability Gamechanger
    @gillian72. Hi Iv not been in touch as Iv lost your email address somehow ?‍♀️.

You should ask your landlord if he’s willing to get you some help with the garden.

As for you having to pay the extra on your rent, you can apply to your local authority for help from the Discretionary Fund. I used to get help when I was staying in a private let. I hope your well ❤️
  • gillian72
    @Cher_Scope  hiya Cher hope your well an safe ? Thankyou for this info il  have a look into this soon , my ex daughter inlaw set me up an account for shoreline yr or 2 ago was gonna help me do it but never did , I can't  understand it  ( I don't  understand much anyway lol)  I don't even no what area 2 look at lol it was never in my plan when kids left home to still be up here ? There's some nice ones round the back of mine but u have to be 60 an over to live there ? Gutted 
  • gillian72
    @Lou67 now then missy hope ur well an safe ? Landlord should be getting the ones who did garden in 1st place it was stoned an pebbled when I moved in not one weed an had that plastic stuff under the stones too bloke was ment to be coming to fit new gate 2day so I've got to sort path way for him fgs just put new pic up of garden today lol even worse now lol as 4 council I'd rather starve then speak to them lol xxx
    Type your comment
  • Lou67
    @gillian72. Hiya Mrs oh that’s a shame about your garden your right your landlord should be getting it done fo you.

As for the council I’m sure you can do a claim online or get a form posted out for help with your rent.

Im ok thanks just a bit down way pain and can’t really get out and about. But could be worse so sorry for moaning lol xx
  • gillian72
    @Lou67 snap same here , was 2days away from pick pip car up 4 Kelly an they phoned her n told her they was putting tracker in coz she's not living with me well she kicked off coz she couldn't use it for work  , got her 2nd hand car i don't even see her  anyway she never pops round  spoiled brat lol an can't fit a scotter indoors in here so stuck atm , rent top up is still winding me up all this time wouldn't have cost me any top up if I new about uc or paid any ctax what a joke I've already been took to court for ctax an lockdown only just ended lol xx
  • Lou67
    @gillian72 If youv still got my email address send me a message there it’s easier to talk. ?
  • gaz1960
    gaz1960 Community member Posts: 292 Pioneering
    Just a suggestion, but,my Grandads weedkiller works wonders on weeds! 
    Mix table salt with vinegar, and washing up liquid, and water(Grandad recycled the carbolic soap water from the tin bath),lol :) 

Spray on,or use,a watering can,weeds,will start to die within days,especially if you use it on a sunny day,the weeds,absorb it better then. 

I use it still, old fashioned, is the new old fashioned way of not using weedkiller? 

Only use on ground,or pebble areas,or drives,not where you might want to grow stuff. Or use,a small hand sprayer,to target individual weeds in flower beds ! 
  • gaz1960
    Oh,and pickling vinegar better than just home or chip shop stuff! :) 
  • gillian72
    @gaz1960 hiya gaz ,hope ur well an safe ? Thanks for your advice that sounds like a plan, I'm gonna try that later , I cut a little bit down then spent 2days in bed lol I'm just trying a bit more 2day then il put the weed killer down thanks gaz  xx
  • gaz1960
    Hope it helps! :smile:

• gaz1960
    Did the old fashioned weedkiller help? 
  • gillian72
    @gaz1960 ? Hiya gaz  hope ur well an safe well no it hasn't but it did rain in the early hours an next day so I guess that didn't help but I have a full spray bottle of it so gonna try again thanks xx?
  • gillian72
    Need a bit of advice guys I've just got my new gate on 2day at last an for the last few days I've seen a hedgehog in the day time getting loads of grass an weeds etc in his mouth an taking it to the end of my garden an it's been coming out at night looking for food I've got the last bit of garden to do will it be a problem for the hog an would it kill it's baby's if I end up near it ??  Any advice would be grateful xx ?
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    Have you tried going on Google 
  • Lisatho11987777
    I live in private rent and had to do my own garden front and back the council don't  look after gardens either inly if they are communal 
  • gillian72
     @lisathomas50 hiya hope ur well an safe  I can't be doing with Google looking at to much info starts confusing me an fog takes over me head lol as for gardens think it's time to move to some where more manageable an easy if u ave a garden like mine it's a joke I only moved in here coz ther was no garden to do lol xx
  • Lisatho11987777
    @gillian72 it's cost me alot of money to do my garden as landlords di t have an obligation  my garden was terrible I k ow have it fenced off and cut down my first patio has been done at the top but I am staying here si needed to do it I love it now its comeing along 

I will have a look on Google for you 

Brightness