Does being disabled affect you in any way? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Does being disabled affect you in any way?

Channi
Channi Community member Posts: 6 Listener
Hi guys I have felt that it is difficult out in the world with a disability and finding it difficult to adjust around other people and make friends does anyone else have this issue? 

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi there 

It is difficult when you can't do some of the same things friends can do 

I also find like others that becoming disabled shows who your true friends are and many just forget you still exist 

Lockdown  hadn't helped 

I do have a small group of friends and that's all I need 

You have to get yourself put there join groups even if just online 
  • Channi
    What type of groups are available I don't know of any
  • coylygirl
    coylygirl Community member Posts: 283 Pioneering
    @channi Hi there, what kind of things are you interested in and what kind of limitations do you feel you have?  Often adaptations can be made to enable inclusivity.  I have a mental health disability and find crowds distressing.  I can often get a free ticket to events so that a friend can attend as a carer to help keep me calm in busy situations.  There is a lot online, from discussion groups to educational courses to general interests.  I try not to let my disability limit me in what I do but I know it's different for everyone.  Hope that gives you a few ideas  :)
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    My disability robbed me of my career, it took away many of my friends, it affected my son who went off the rails, I could go on but you get the idea, now I just wake up thankful that I will see a new day.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Are you looking specifically for groups for other disabled people, or social groups in general @Channi
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • Dragonslayer
    Dragonslayer Community member Posts: 2,165 Pioneering
    Not being able to do the simple things in life, like taking a walk, shopping, going to a pub. Then the bigger things like flying and going overseas.
  • WestHam06
    WestHam06 Community member, Scope Volunteer Posts: 1,396 Pioneering
    Hi @Channi
                        Welcome to the community and thank you for joining us. How are you? I am sorry to hear of the difficulties you have been facing, sometimes being disabled can be difficult in the outside world. Please may I ask, what are your interests? Often, when finding a shared hobby or interest can help to create conversations with others. Please may I also ask, are you currently part of any groups? We have lots of conversations happening here on the community, please do join in if you feel you would like too? Also, please do ask any questions you may have and we will do our best to answer. We are a friendly community and here to support one another. Thank you. 
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello, my disability ended my working life completely. But while awaiting my diagnosis I prepared myself mentally that I will never work again and with 5 years to retirement and reduced to using mobility scooters to walk the dog and on trips out.  I have found no harassment only friendliness from fellow dog walkers who sometimes see daily or monthly. My local Co-Op are great I wait outside, phone the shop and my milk order is brought out and placed in the basket. Card payment every time never any issues staff most helpful.
  • Popdiva43
    Popdiva43 Community member Posts: 170 Pioneering
    hello.im 43 years old,before i got my disability,i was a homecarer,enjoying my life,loved going out being independent,loved driving,but thats all now been taken away from me,cant even manage to take my 7 year old to the park,my self worth has plumerted,my situation is only going to get worse,so i know how you feel.
  • DaddyBear
    DaddyBear Community member Posts: 35 Connected
    @Channi I hear people laugh at me the way I walk. I sometimes feel old, I am 56, I use to be so active, all I can say is I am still mobile, not feel sorry for myself, and  try make new friends, like on here.??????????
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Popdiva43

I'm sorry to read how you feel at the minute, it's a shame that your self-worth isn't too good at the moment but I can assure you that you are valued on here. Do you receive any support to help you carry out daily tasks? And are you in contact with your GP about your mental health?
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Popdiva43
    Popdiva43 Community member Posts: 170 Pioneering
    Hi Ross_Scope thanks for your message, my daughter helps round the house, my gp has put me on anti depressants, I think having to wait to hear about when my pip tribunal will be is also having an effect on me, as scored 0 points, it's just hard to see if there is any light at the end of the tunnel. 
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    I can understand that @Popdiva43, it can sometimes feel like that with PIP claims, especially when the claim doesn't initially go your way. Keeping fighting for what you deserve though and I'm sure you'll get there! I'm glad you have a supportive daughter, you must be very proud of her, and it's good to hear that your GP is supporting you. Ensure you speak with them again if you feel as though your current treatment isn't as effective as you'd like
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Channi
    Hi everyone my disability affects my walk and I can't walk without an aid I am slower than normal people so I struggle to go out on my own my interests are listening to music, I enjoy watching movies, playing computer games, I want to join groups with people who have a disability if you have any suggestions please let me know tia

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Channi :) Many groups are specific to your location, and might be specific to your condition too. You don't have to tell us where you're based or what your condition is, but using those specific search terms might help you to find a relevant group, e.g. social group for people with cerebral palsy in Leeds. 

You could also try using more generic websites such as Meetup to find local groups that interest you. I've seen ones especially for disabled people on there before too. 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • 3PARKWAY3
    3PARKWAY3 Community member Posts: 35 Connected
    My autism stops me from going out in the very same way. Crowds of people send me paranoid, and I dont like being at social events. mixing in pubs, even going to the shops.  I have coped by having something to be interested in. At the moment, it Marquetry. I find I must completely immerse myself in a hobby at a time. I read everything and check out Youtube videos to get every way of doing this hobby. I have been inspired and have produced a few good peices of work. It makes me happy inside that I have made something to the best of my ability that I can show myt family..beleive me, it works !!!
  • kosh77
    kosh77 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    If i am honest, becoming disabled at 20 has pretty much ruined my whole life.  No relationship, marriage, sex or even close friends. It is sooooo difficult. I am now 63 and no one wants to know an old, disabled man. The simple truth, sadly. Not a positive thing to say i know, but that is my reality.
  • HanzRolo
    HanzRolo Community member Posts: 60 Courageous
    I dropped out of school with the lack of support with dyslexia.  I dropped out of college when they agreed that was probably what was going on.  Went out to work.  Then the economic crash happened, so I went back to college, got the diagnosis of dyslexia and the support I needed for college and university to work towards the career I was hoping for.  Finally got the job I'd worked so hard for and BAM!  I have chronic pain and can barely walk to the shop and back or stand for more than 10 minutes without being in pain.  Now I've no idea what I want to do but all the jobs I've been successful in, I've worked standing on my feet such as in a shop.  It's like having the carpet pulled from underneath you.
  • kelics
    kelics Community member Posts: 84 Courageous
    Of course it does :D
  • shazzawood
    shazzawood Community member Posts: 30 Connected
    Like many of you I have found it hard since having a disability.i have always worked as a carer looking after the elderly with dementia were I have worked lots of hours. The past 2 years I have worked in independent living..i loved my job very much but now not able to carry I.have also noticed that alot of my work friends don't get in touch any more..makes me feel very low at times .

Brightness