My son (a student) has been diagnosed with severe arthritis. Can he apply for disability benefits? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

My son (a student) has been diagnosed with severe arthritis. Can he apply for disability benefits?

Options
afisha
afisha Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi recently my son diagnosed with severe arthritis , he’s 20 and a student can he apply for any disable benefit and how

Comments

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,493 Disability Gamechanger
    edited June 2021
    Options
    Welcome to the community @afisha :) Thanks for joining.

Firstly, just to let you know, I've tweaked the title of your post slightly and moved it into our 'what benefits am I entitled to?' category. This should help other members to find your post.

You might find this page about the benefits full-time students can be entitled to on the Turn2Us website helpful. 

Is he a full time student?

Can full-time students claim Universal Credit?

If you are a student, you can only claim Universal Credit if:

• You are under 21, taking  a course that leading to a qualification at the same level as or below A levels (such as Scottish Highers, NVQ up to level 3) and you do not and cannot live with your parents; or
    • You are responsible for a child; or
    • You get Attendance AllowanceDisability Living Allowance (DLA) or Personal Independence Payment (PIP) and you have limited capability for work. (This can be complicated – Use our Find an Adviser tool to find a local adviser); or
    • You are over Pension Credit age; or
    • You live with a partner who can claim Universal Credit; or
    • You have taken time out from your course for illness or caring responsibilities, are now recovered/your caring responsibilities have ended, and you are waiting to go back to your course.

Personal Independence Payment (PIP) and Attendance Allowance

You can get PIP or Attendance Allowance even if you are a full-time student.

If you have disabilities, are aged under pension age and need help with your personal care or mobility needs, you can get Personal Independence Payment (PIP). If you need help with personal care and are pension age or over, you can get Attendance Allowance.

PIP and Attendance Allowance are not means-tested. This means any income (including student grants or loans) or savings you have are ignored.

If activities you do as part of your course suggest that your health has improved, your PIP or Attendance Allowance may stop. For example, if you are getting PIP because you said you have problems with walking and your course involves a lot of physical activity, this could cause your award to be reviewed.

Have you or your son looked into PIP before?
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.