Hi I'm Cat62! Has anybody had experience as a disabled traveller abroad? What are the best cities? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi I'm Cat62! Has anybody had experience as a disabled traveller abroad? What are the best cities?

Options
Cat62
Cat62 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited June 2021 in Coffee lounge
High nice to join you all ?
Tagged:

Comments

• Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 50,073 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Cat62 welcome to the forum
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Welcome to the community @Cat62 :) How are you doing today? Is the weather sunny where you are? 

It's great to have you with us. Please feel free to take a look around the community and get stuck in. You might like to start by looking through our list of recent discussions, browsing through the categories of discussion we host, or getting to know other members through some casual chat in the coffee lounge.

Please just give us a shout if you need anything!
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Cat62 - & welcome to this friendly community. Thank you for joining us all, & I hope to see you around the forum. :)
  • Cat62
    Cat62 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Thank you so much for welcome. I use a scooter at the moment with having FND and thinking about going abroad with a friend. Has anybody had experience as a disabled traveller abroad and what cities are easiest to get around? 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I haven't got any personal experience of this, but I just wanted to point you towards Scope's page on planning an accessible holiday @Cat62, which you might find helpful :) Have you got any locations in mind?

I'm going to rename your post slightly and move it into the coffee lounge too, as that might help others with experience of this to find your post. 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • iannn
    iannn Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Hi cat 
    I have done most of Europe and as u are aware  we aren't wheelchair or scooter friendly in this country and its the same in most of the world but Spain isn't any worse but one issue you may have is your mobilty scooter is it airplane approved as only some batteries are allowed on the plane and the weight of it and your luggage allowance 
  • Carlos55
    Carlos55 Community member Posts: 6 Listener
    Options
    I went to New York in 2019, on my own and took a wheelchair.  New York is very accessible and most of the taxi's are equipped for wheelchair users. Sightseeing, most of the places you want to visit, Hudson cruises, One World Trade Centre, all the museums, are accessible, but the Empire State Building is not fully accessible. The top floor observation area is only accessible with steps. I found New Yorkers to be extremely helpful and polite to disabled people. On the flight, the crew can't do enough for you, and in the airport, choose the assistance, its great, and you will get through passport control much quicker too. Definitely will be revisiting The Big Apple again.
  • Poppy_
    Poppy_ Community Volunteer Host Posts: 192 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi, i have been to some European countries and Spain/ Canary Islands are a good option. Cyprus is also good, depending on the side of the island you go. I have been to Ayia Napa and I found it mostly accessible with boards on the some of the beaches so I could get right near the water easily.
    Poppy_
    Community Volunteer Host with a passion for reading.

Brightness