You're always welcome at Scope, our thanks to you this Volunteers' Week — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

You're always welcome at Scope, our thanks to you this Volunteers' Week

Ross_Alumni
Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
edited June 2021 in Coffee lounge

Volunteers' Week 2021

As some of you may know, 1 - 7 June is Volunteer's Week and we wanted to let you know of how appreciative we are of those of you who have volunteered for Scope in the past, present and those who will in the future. And of course, a massive shout out to anybody who has volunteered here on the community.

The time and effort our volunteers give to their volunteer role helps Scope support more disabled people and their families. We are so proud of our amazing team of volunteers and we’d like you to know that we truly value your support and willingness to go the extra mile for us particularly in the last year which has been so challenging for everyone.

Volunteer at one of Scope's shops

Whether you're looking to make friends, learn new skills or make a difference in your local community, you'll love volunteering in our friendly and sociable shops. And by giving just a few hours of your free time you’ll be supporting disabled people and their families.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hStlaOTaWh8

Do you want to make a difference? Volunteering a few hours of your free time has a huge impact on your local community. 

Are you a people person? Do you love to chat and meet new people? Are you looking to make new friends? You’ll have great fun volunteering in our shops.

Are you a fashion fanatic? Do you love putting together outfits? Bring your own sense of style and create stylish window displays!

Are you a book worm? Do you love reading? Volunteer your time and curate our book section with your favourite reads!

Volunteer on the online community

We recently started advertising two new volunteer roles as part of the online community, the 'Community Volunteer Adviser' and the 'Community Volunteer Host' roles offer you a super chance to get more involved and support your fellow members. You can go more in depth and find application information here.

Impact of volunteering

At Scope, we want to make society one where disabled people have the same opportunities as everyone else. You’ll feel good by volunteering here, because all the money you help us raise, goes to support disabled people and their families, and the support you provide to your peers is forever appreciated by us and them alike.

One of the many great things about volunteering is, it’s flexible and can fit in around your lifestyle and studies, if you’re at college. If you’ve retired or are between jobs, this is a great way to gain some experience, have fun and learn new skills.

The pandemic has meant our support services for disabled people and their families have never been more needed than now.  If you’re keen to find out more, either drop into your local Scope charity shop for a chat, or visit our website to register your interest.  We’re a very friendly team and you’ll thoroughly enjoy volunteering with us.

Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.

Comments

• 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,367 Disability Gamechanger
    edited June 2021
    Nice thread :)

I want to say thank you to everyone who makes Scope happen - employees, volunteers, fundraisers, donators, community members and everyone else who is involved in some way :)

Being on the community has been a part of my life since I joined and I really appreciate the people making it available for us to use.

There is a local Scope shop near me and I have been meaning to pay a visit to see what it’s all about outside of the online forums but sadly it’s been closed due to Covid. Hopefully I can visit soon :)
  • cat_hug
    cat_hug Community member Posts: 161 Pioneering
    I would like to thank scope for all you do. You guys are amazing and have helped me more than I can say.
    The time and dedication that is committed to helping people with disabilities and their families is unbelievably heartening, as well as being a life raft for many of us.
    (I speak personally, but am sure many share my view)
    So, a huge thank you and virtual hug to all who volunteer and give so much of themselves, to help others.
    Thank you. God bless Xx
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Lovely comments from you both @cat_hug @66Mustang :) We certainly owe all of our lovely volunteers, fundraisers, and everyone else an awful lot. 

I hope you manage to get down to one of our shops @66Mustang- they're obviously the best charity shops around.
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • WestHam06
    WestHam06 Community member, Scope Volunteer Posts: 1,396 Pioneering
    Thank you to everyone at Scope and all of the amazing volunteers. All that you do is really valuable and very much appreciated, thank you so much :) 
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Listener
    My region West Midlands isn't listed on the web page.
  • cat_hug
    @Tori_Scope we have a great scope shop just a few minutes away from where I live ?
  • Ross_Alumni
    I'm sorry to hear that @innocent21, I wonder if that's because there isn't a shop in your region? 

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    Scope is an amazing organisation, and it's forum one of the best on the internet, as well as those who work for scope we should thank all those who make the forum run smoothly and all those members who give their time to advise people and be there for them

Well done all of you x
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    D'awww, thanks guys and more importantly, a big thank you to all of you  <3  Both volunteers and members make our community the fantabulous online space that it is and we are continually impressed by how much knowledge and time you impart to help others.  Bravo.  
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

• cat_hug
    You guys are awesome. Xx
  • Ross_Alumni
    cat_hug said:
    You guys are awesome. Xx
    I very much appreciate that, but I must agree with Cher that the awesome ones here are you people :) 

• Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    Doesn't always feel welcoming 
  • Ross_Alumni
    I'm sorry to hear that you feel that way @lisathomas50, you're always welcome to drop us an email to community@scope.org.uk if there's something on your mind that you fancy chatting about :) 

Of course, we have our hiccups along the way, but I am sure that everybody on here wants the best for one another.

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    everybody on here wants the best for one another.

Hear, hear @Ross_Scope :)

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Thanks to all admin, and members this community has been a lifeline to me

I have a purpose sharing my experiences and helping others in need 

Keeps my brain active and have learnt so much from others as well 

I disagree about it not being welcoming and think that is more down to members not always liking the advice given even though it is factual and intended to advise 
  • Lisatho11987777
    I didnt say it wasn't welcoming  I said it doesn't always feel welcoming 

It's not about the advice given and not likeing the advice either 
  • cat_hug
    Hi Lisa, @lisathomas50, I'm Cat, nice to meet you. I've been a member here for maybe a year. This community here have been a lifeline for me too.
    People actually listen and care and take time out to check that you're ok, when they see that you're not.
    For me that's been a revelation and a blessing. At a time when there was no help it seemed, anywhere, @Cher_Scope and @Tori_Scopeand @Username_removed with his wealth of knowledge, Cher and Tori, checking I was still alive and breathing, superheroes all.... and this community, helped when it was most needed. 
    Anyway, wanted to say hello and welcome, in the same way I've been welcomed.
    Hugs, Cat xx
  • Lisatho11987777
  • gazp
    gazp Community member Posts: 7 Listener
    I'm interested in volunteering but not sure how I can with restricted mobility....I am based in the west Midlands... would it affect my UC and pip
  • Joolz2107
    Joolz2107 Community member Posts: 9 Listener
    I think this forum is so interesting, such helpful, friendly people and I enjoy reading about everyone’s lives wether good or bad (hopefully good) always topics I can relate to and never any judgement! This time next week I’m getting my PIP telephone assessment ? dreading it!! Thank you to everyone at scope.

Brightness