PIP Assessment via telephone — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP Assessment via telephone

Options
reject93
reject93 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited June 2021 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi all. I have a question regarding PIP assessment questions.

I'm already on pip but had to start a new application due to giving them proof of worsening health.

I had my telephone assessment today and it's left me in complete disbelief at the way I was spoken to. The assessor asked me how many rolls of fat I have and where do my rolls of fat hang ?? I'm laughing out of shock and embarrassment but I'm actually really taken back and upset by it. When I spoke about how depression affects my motivation so I mostly wear pjs inside of my home, she responded with "Oh, so you don't care about you appearance then". The assessment was full of these types of remarks and I already feel awful about myself as a person but this woman has validated my hatred for myself. The body image remarks really hit hard because I suffer from body dysmorphic disorder and I told her this. She kept getting pushy with me to answer questions asking "WHY?" "Why do you get anxious, why are you depressed, why do you struggle to leave the house". Everytime I tried my best to answer she would once again ask me why. I have Aspergers so my communication already isn't great aswell as having anxiety disorders that affect my communication. The telephone assessment ended with her saying "I'm out of time. Got another appointment now. Anything to add?" Obviously I had so much more i needed to explain but after that I felt like I was rushed off the phone so I said I had nothing more to say.

Are fat rolls usually discussed in pip assessments or am I the first?

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @reject93

I'm sorry you had to go through this during your assessment 

I've never heard of them asking about rolls of fat and agree would find this very offensive 

You can put in a complaint about the assessor it won't change the pip decision but I think it us important to make the assessment provider aware of what their staff are saying 

However complaints don't ever seem to go anywhere 

It is the assessors ignorance of basic courtesy and respect and not you and I wouldn't give them the time of day to make you feel worse about yourself 
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @reject93 and welcome to the community. 

I'm sorry to hear that you've been through that, the line of questioning about fat does sound very strange and I am not surprised it upset you. 

As mentioned by Jane, you are able to make a complaint about the assessor if you want, you can find out more information about how to do that here. 

Can I ask, are you receiving any support for your mental health from your GP or other health professional?
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • dave392
    dave392 Community member Posts: 42 Courageous
    Options
    I would be complaining too ias my mom and directly to dwp and prime minister that line of questioning is disgusting 
  • dave392
    dave392 Community member Posts: 42 Courageous
    Options
    That’s supposed to be mp don’t think my mom would have any sway lol ?
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,618 Disability Gamechanger
    edited June 2021
    Options
    Sometimes the questions (how can I put this?) aren't "nice" but they should never be offensive, they are of course trying to get the best "picture" possible of you and how your disability affects you.
    I would wait until you have a decision before making a formal complaint, so a good idea to make notes of everything now so you don't forget what was said.
    As an aside did you seek advice before reporting a change of circumstances? It's always a good idea to do so.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Leigh14
    Leigh14 Community member Posts: 558 Pioneering
    Options
    I thought assessments were about how your disabilities affect you, not why you are depressed, why you struggle to leave house etc. As for the comments about rolls of fat, and where they hang, this is surely unacceptable.
    What an awful experience for @reject93 to have had to go through. I would definitely put a complaint in. Surely, the powers that be, need to be aware of this.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.