driving and the motorbility scheme. Has anyone got a car? Am I worrying about nothing? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

driving and the motorbility scheme. Has anyone got a car? Am I worrying about nothing?

Geegeenumber1
Geegeenumber1 Community member Posts: 1,066 Pioneering
edited June 2021 in Transport and travel
im really excited about finally being awarded higher rate mobility and getting a car next month but im really nervous about driving a new car im only used to old bangers

i tried a partners automatic - mine will be manual which is what i learned in - and it was really hard to break it was so sensitive to braking and not sure if that was caus it was new or caus it was automatic

it was almost dangerous to drive with the brakes so sensitive

apart from that have any of  you got a car? Did you get it on motorbbility and has it changed your life

i cant walk and havent been out properly since before xmas so it will be a whole new world to me planning shopping and mini breaks around the country 

havent driven in around a year but when i started again was like riding a bike

am i worrying about nothing

surely a new car will be nicer and easier to drive

Comments

• OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Were you left foot braking as there's no clutch to use in an auto?  Still use the right foot for both if so.  Cars generally all just feel different though, (I've owned over 60 of them lol!) and I'm not good with change!  You should get used to it over time.  Brand new brakes are a bit snatchy while you bed them in.

I wonder if your partners car is hybrid at all?  I've got a brand new mild hybrid and the brakes are very sharp on that.  It uses regenerative braking to charge the hybrid battery and it's very intrusive I find.  I have other problems with it as well, making the drive so un-smooth that I'm unable to drive it and have had to stick to my 110k, previously written off, old banger...  Spent 6 months looking for looking for something smoother and still can't find anything.  Having to admit that I may just be too sensitive to any change at all now.  I'm fairly sure that's a problem unique to myself though!
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi there 

All cars will feel different but you will soon get used to it 

Just get confident driving if in open spaces like car parks in the evening before you go too far on the road 

Bet your so excited ti be able to get back driving 

What car are you getting 
  • Geegeenumber1
    His was a Kia not sure if that's hybrid or not

I remember learning to drive was such a joy in new car so my experience in automatic Kia and also an Audi were surprising

I might have tried to use clutch by mistake

I'm getting a new golf r line

In metallic red

Get me lol

I'm beyond excited il finally be able to get out and about
  • Geegeenumber1
    Sorry to hear the problems you are having is the new car a motorbility car

I hope mines not hybrid then
  • OverlyAnxious
    Sorry to hear the problems you are having is the new car a motorbility car

I hope mines not hybrid then
    I don't know much about new Kia's I'm afraid.

Which engine are you getting in the Golf?  It's only the 1.5 eTSI that's mild hybrid in them.  The TSI without the 'e' is just normal.  

I don't qualify for Motability myself, but used PIP backpay to finance it, so sort of the same thing lol.  
  • Geegeenumber1
    I'm not sure don't think it's got the e
  • OverlyAnxious
    edited June 2021
    Well, better at least check whether it's petrol or diesel before you go to fill it up.  :D 

The R-Line looks like a great all rounder though.   I've been looking at the Style myself as I need softer suspension...but even that wasn't smooth enough for me sadly.
  • Geegeenumber1
    right this is what it says exactly

Golf 8 r line 1.5 TSI 130 ps manual 5 door 2wd

Doesnt say if its diesel 
  • Geegeenumber1
    just found out its petrol

what difference does it make

dont know anything about cars 
  • Geegeenumber1
    also never had a 6 speed car

take it thats for fast driving on motorway

your my new expert lol
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    You will use 6th gearors than just on motorways will make it m8re economical 

You just like any gear listen to the engine noise 

You may also have an eco gauge on far telling you how ecomical you are driving when in 5th gear if it drops down change to 6th gear 

Get the garage to go through everything with you before you drive away 

You will soon get used to it and love driving a new car 
  • Geegeenumber1
    yes i cant wait im so excited

got about a month to wait

looking forward to the built in sat nav and stereo with  6 speakers

i havent been out since before xmas so will be a real treat

first break away is to liverpool in a b and b then up north to visit family

will be great to go to do my own shopping as well

• Geegeenumber1
    ive had so many problems with old cars over the years my last one cost more in repairs then i paid for it and broke down twice in the mididle of the motorway took rac 10 hours to pick us up drive us home from leicester to essex and 250 pound for the privilidge before any car repair cost

i used to hate driving in the end because id be so panicked about the car failing

with motorbility i get my breakdown cover incluided as well its brilliant its the best use of the money i am entitled to and will grately improve my quality of life

be nice to have a shiny new golf as well looks gorgeous
  • OverlyAnxious
    also never had a 6 speed car

take it thats for fast driving on motorway

your my new expert lol
    Haha, cars are the one thing I know about!  :D

Yes TSI is petrol, the T stands for turbo-charged so if you've never had a turbo car before, you can expect a bit more pull from it when you put your foot down.  (Most engines are turbocharged now because it means they can make the engine smaller for lower emissions).

Difference between petrol and diesel driving isn't all that much.  Diesels are harder to stall and a bit lazier.  Petrols are a bit more revvy but quieter at idle.  You do have to make sure not to put the wrong fuel in at the petrol station though...petrol pumps are usually green (not sure if you've any driving experience so hopefully that's not patronising!)

6th gear is used for higher speed...  Not likely to be used until 50mph+.  As Jane says, you'll hear when the engine wants to change and there'll be an arrow on the dash as a suggestion, but that's not always a perfect suggestion.

The other thing you might find weird with the new Golf is that it has no manual handbrake.  It uses an electronic button and will apply itself when necessary.  Then you just pull away and it holds the brakes until you've got a strong enough clutch bite not to stall.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    Spend a few days driving somewhere very quiet= whilst you get used to your new car.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Geegeenumber1
    yeah ive had tons of cars but all crappy beaten up ones that cost more to repair than i paid for them

i wont miss any of them

looking forward to the extra turbo boost and the 6 gears

looking forward to it all really

but will take some getting used to all the features im gonna grill the garage owner before i leave the showroom lol

what do you like about this car
  • OverlyAnxious
    Lol, you posted just before I did - I'm guessing you know which pumps which now haha!  :D

I'm the same with breakdowns btw, that's my main reason for buying a new car as I can't cope with breakdowns.  Always worried about my car failing which has made my world smaller and smaller (as well as other issues).  I like cars, but hate driving, mad I know lol.
  • Geegeenumber1
    @woodbine

yeah thats the plan you wont get me out of it when i first get it ive got so many plans not been out since before xmas other than getting in and out of a taxi
  • Geegeenumber1
    @overlya

why do you hate driving because of the fear of breaking down

ive spent a fortune on repairs and its not even easy to find someone to do a repair - esp at a fair price - as often would break down to the point where car couldnt be moved and id need a remote mechanic who charges the earth and were dodgy mmost of the time

breking down on the motorway hundreds of miles from home is no joke nor is waiting 10 hours in a sweltering car for RAC to turn up only to demand 250 to tow us home

Are you close to getting a new car then? Good luck must be a mammoth task choosing

I think it could still be easy to mix up petrol and diesel as my last car wass diesel but hopefully that wont happen

dont want anything to jinx things

one thing im looking  forward to is building up speed easier i used to struggle to get up hills and would go reaally slow after stopping was so frustrating 
  • Geegeenumber1
    thanks by the way for getting my excitement up to fever pitch!

Brightness