Have a club foot, perimenopausal symptoms, and osteoarthritis. Going to look for a better job — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Have a club foot, perimenopausal symptoms, and osteoarthritis. Going to look for a better job

Options
jessica2000
jessica2000 Community member Posts: 6 Listener
edited June 2021 in Work and employment
So I work in retail have worked for the same company for 28 years haven’t been sick before have got a disability but it does define me,
I was born with club foot but at the age of 47 peri menopause hit like truck and I started having cluster migraines which started making fall over and that started me having anxiety with open spaces so getting to work or crossing roads was a problem so started having time off here and there at work I got that under control, then my best friend died of cancer, I’m still going to work and holding the family together and supporting my friends, then the virus hit I got floughed april until June which was good couldn’t wait to get back to work I was feeling good, but when I went back my left hip started hurting really badly so had I checked out found out it was on set osteoarthritis lasted at work until I clasped in October and couldn’t go on any more walking became dangerous to me I didn’t feel safe I have to walk with a frame now I have a operation in July.

work I went sick in October last year took 28 weeks pay sick
I had grieve counselling 
lots of drs appointments 
and then my manager suggested that I should a career break off the record so I could save my job the catch is I don’t get payed I still get all my benefits 

I feel now as I’m coming out the other side of this and I’m thinking more clearly life is to short and your just a number when I’m better think I’m gonna find a better job.

Tagged:

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi and welcome to the community Sorry to hear all you have gone through 

Good you are coming out other end 

Scope have a great support for work programme which may interest you have a look in the employment section 

Feel free to join in on any discussions 
  • jessica2000
    Options
  • jessica2000
    Options
    I am still am on my career break when I recover fully from my hip operation and I am gonna have hypnotherapy I'm gonna be up an running  even if it means I go back to my old job in January thats when I am going back but I think after all these years thought they would treat me better because I am a good worker.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Welcome to the community @jessica2000 :) I'm also sorry to hear about everything that you've been through. Has the grief counselling helped?

From my understanding, employers don't have to offer you your job back after a career break, which might be something to bear in mind. You can read about that on this gov.uk page.

As Janer1967 has mentioned, Scope has a number of employment services that you might like to check-out if you decide to change job. 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • jessica2000
    Options
    Grief counselling did sort of helped but miss my friend every day, and we will see what happens when I'm better one thing at a time but it does make you look at your life differently 

• Tori_Scope
    edited June 2021
    Options
    Of course, it's completely normal to continue missing them @jessica2000. As they say, the grief never goes away, but your life does start to grow around it. Definitely continue to take one thing at a time :)

a circle of grief, followed by a circle of grief with a small circle of life around it, followed by a circle of grief with a big circle of life around it
    (Lois Tonkin, Growing Around Grief)

• jessica2000
    Options
    My friend gave me so much like strength,fun just being around her you never knew what was going to happen she didn’t see my as different she just saw me and never said I couldn’t and even pushed me to do things to do things I would of never done and we laughed that’s what I’m gonna miss and I loved. 

• Tori_Scope
    Options
    It sounds like she was a great friend @jessica2000 :) Do you have any happy memories with her that you'd like to share? There's no pressure to, but I know that remembering the good times helps some people to get through the difficult moments.

I hope that you can carry with you the lessons you learnt from her as you move forwards. 

Brightness