driving and the motorbility scheme. Has anyone got a car? Am I worrying about nothing? - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

driving and the motorbility scheme. Has anyone got a car? Am I worrying about nothing?

2»

Comments

• 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,368 Disability Gamechanger
    Congrats on the new car I bet you are really excited :) I think you made a good choice.

The one thing I am worried about with my 6 gear car is that 6th is where reverse is in most 5 gear cars. So what happens if I then go back to a 5 gear car, subconsciously try to put it in 6th, and end up putting it in reverse :s
  • Geegeenumber1
    Geegeenumber1 Community member Posts: 1,066 Pioneering
    yeah i was looking at the KIA but ive always wanted a golf used to have a polo and loved it and hoping golf will be better and more powerful 

oh thats a worry about the reverse!
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    I am the opposite to you lol I like my old cars I had three mobility cars i handed the last on back after 12 months but that's just me 

Enjoy your new car it will all be ok and you will love it ?
  • Geegeenumber1
    Thankyou Lisa so excited now
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,586 Disability Gamechanger
    66Mustang said:
    Congrats on the new car I bet you are really excited :) I think you made a good choice.

The one thing I am worried about with my 6 gear car is that 6th is where reverse is in most 5 gear cars. So what happens if I then go back to a 5 gear car, subconsciously try to put it in 6th, and end up putting it in reverse :s
    You can't do it - there's a physical 'block' on reverse when you're travelling forwards at speed...  I wouldn't suggest trying it out though.  :D  
  • OverlyAnxious
    edited June 2021
    @overlya

why do you hate driving because of the fear of breaking down

ive spent a fortune on repairs and its not even easy to find someone to do a repair - esp at a fair price - as often would break down to the point where car couldnt be moved and id need a remote mechanic who charges the earth and were dodgy mmost of the time

breking down on the motorway hundreds of miles from home is no joke nor is waiting 10 hours in a sweltering car for RAC to turn up only to demand 250 to tow us home

Are you close to getting a new car then? Good luck must be a mammoth task choosing

I think it could still be easy to mix up petrol and diesel as my last car wass diesel but hopefully that wont happen

dont want anything to jinx things

one thing im looking  forward to is building up speed easier i used to struggle to get up hills and would go reaally slow after stopping was so frustrating 
    I've got a fairly unique combination of issues that make me hate driving...  I can't deal with bodily fluids/processes but suffer with IBS and have a very weak stomach so can't take much motion without triggering those.  I'm terrified of getting injured in a car accident, or having to aid someone else who has been.  I also can't deal with people so calling breakdown or asking passers by for help is extremely difficult, and I couldn't take the motion of a recovery truck anyway.  I suffer from vertigo which can be triggered by things moving in a certain way (trains at level crossings for example) and haven't been able to travel as a passenger for about 5 years now.  And I'm agoraphobic, so even on a good day can only manage short distances and short periods of time out of the house before things become unmanageable or my IBS & nausea get worse.  Just an extra 10 minutes waiting for recovery could be the difference between making it back to the loo in time or not.  With that in mind, I now can't do dual carriageways at all for the fear of getting stranded on them - at least with normal roads there's the option to turn around and go another way.  Since lockdown, the anxiety around driving has got much worse for me, even having to stop for a red traffic light can trigger panic for me now.  It's frustrating, but I don't think there's anything I can do except keep trying to drive in short bursts.  

Having a smoother driving/riding car should help with the physical issues, and having one I could fully rely on not to breakdown should help with the anxiety.  (Oh, I also have severe contamination OCD so being brand new would help with that as well...I've owned my current used car for 3 years and still can't touch various parts including the backseats or floors).  But I just can't find anything new that fits the criteria.  And can't do test drives because of my issues either (I did try a new Golf but was so ill beforehand the test didn't prove anything to me!).  I've bought 3 cars in the last 6 months that were all unsuitable.  First two were returned (used cars) but the 3rd was brand new on finance so I couldn't return that one...it's just been sat on the drive for the last couple of months.  I honestly have no idea what to go for now.   

I trained as a mechanic, and can fix anything on cars (or could, until my physical issues stopped that in 2018), but I just can't cope with the actual event of a breakdown and being stuck away from home.  

Anyway, enough about me!  :D

Have you got a delivery date for your car yet?  Did you choose any optional extras?
  • Geegeenumber1
    im sorry to hear about the issues which sound really distressing, it must be terrible to be worried about things when you are out and about 

i was scared of roundabouts at one point but my main anxiety was the fact that the car was so unreliable and could break down at any minute

was so scary when the car just stopped working in the middle of the busy motorway

i think ive got about a month before i go and pick it up in a taxi from the showroom i think i will be quite nervous just really hoping dont have the issues  with the brakes i had with the automatics

i used to have an old polo and it drove beautifully and alll other cars ive had have been fine but theyve not been new

ive not asked for extras but decided on kings metallic red for the colour which was free for me to choose

my mum likes the upgraded alloy wheels but everything is standard 

its costing my entire benefits allowance each month but if i can drive it well it should change my life
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang said:

You can't do it - there's a physical 'block' on reverse when you're travelling forwards at speed...  I wouldn't suggest trying it out though.  :D  
    That's reassuring to know! :)
  • Luna51
    Luna51 Community member Posts: 283 Pioneering
    Hello.
    Our first motability car was a black golf, it had the best sound system and I absolutely loved driving it!

I was also terrified to drive a new car but 20 minutes in I thought "This is actually MARVELLOUS" it's wonderful to have the freedom and peace of mind a motability car brings, the customer service is second to none and following two small bumps (my own own fault and no one else was involved) they were brilliant and very understanding as I was pretty upset.

You are right to be excited!
    Enjoy it.. ?
  • Geegeenumber1
  • Geegeenumber1
    did you notice the brakes were really hard to get used to
  • 66Mustang
    edited June 2021
    I agree with @Luna51 that the scheme is really brilliant and that they really do look after you at the dealerships and are very understanding.

They sort out everything for you like tyres, brakes, servicing etc. for no extra charge, just the £280/month out of your benefits.

Out of curiosity I looked up how much it would cost to lease my car, also ran the car through an insurance comparison site, found out how much it would cost for a service plan and added in the cost of the new tyres...if I was a private buyer all of this would have come to over £500 a month so it is fantastic value for money.

The only downside I can think of, and it's a relatively minor one, is that if it's your only car and you don't have any insurance policy on another car, you will not accrue insurance no claims bonus, and after 2 years you will lose any insurance no claims bonus you do have, so insurance will be more expensive if you ever come off the scheme.
  • OverlyAnxious

its costing my entire benefits allowance each month but if i can drive it well it should change my life
    Absolutely!  Even with all of my limitations, I couldn't imagine being without a car which is why I'm trying to keep driving as long as possible.  Just silly things like driving a mile to a local pond break up the day and can stop an awful morning taking over the afternoon and evening as well. 

I'm sure you'll get used to the brakes and clutch and everything quickly.  The brakes will feel a bit sharp when they're brand new as they need bedding in, so don't let that put you off when you first pick it up.  :)
  • Luna51
    I really like the idea of costing everything together @66Mustang ? ?

The car is actually for my daughter who has complex needs, when it's time to renew we visit lots of garages, she then chooses the vehicle and I drive her around in it! 

Don't worry about the brakes too much, just take your time on the first drive, I went to the local trading estate with my first new car and just drove there for half an hour.. 
    You'll be absolutely fine ?
  • Geegeenumber1
    im so excited ! will change my quality of life
    not been out since before xmmas except to go in an ambulance and taxi#
    esp now ive just found out my holidays been cancelled 
  • Luna51
    Let us know how you get on when it arrives.. ?
  • Geegeenumber1
    will do thanks for your advice

Brightness