Is it normal for the assessors to ask my GP for a report? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Is it normal for the assessors to ask my GP for a report?

Options
joshua12000
joshua12000 Community member Posts: 13 Connected
edited November 2021 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Applied for PIP in November 2020 for mental health of physical health conditions had the telephone assessment mid Feb 2021 then a text a week later from DWP saying we have received written report of your pip assessment and will write to you when we have made a decision.
You will hear from us within 8 weeks well in the mean time applied for a copy of the report and scored 6 points so obviously may need to do mandatory re-consideration to try to up the points score as was a bit light in a couple of areas  and nothing for mobility.

So has no decision letter has arrived my sister rang DWP who said the report had been sent back to independent assessment services, so she then rang them and was told that they where waiting for a report from my GP. Then she rang GP and was told that the letter was there but had not been filled in and had been there for 6 weeks and would hopefully be filled in shortly.

What i want to know is this normal as i was under the impression that the DWP went with the assessment and don't usually contact your GP. So if anyone can shed some light on this i would be grateful as i have not heard of this situation before.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Comments

• Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 49,987 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @joshua12000 these things can take some time, hopefully your Dr sends it back soon then all can go ahead 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi and welcome 

To me it seems like there was conflicting evidence from the assessors report and other evidence . So it gas been sent back for further evidence from your gp 

This doesn't happen a lot but can happen,  they don't always go with the assessment report on its own 

Obviously the delay in your gp responded will delay the decision  

• joshua12000
    Options
    Thanks for the replies.

Was wondering if anyone has had a similar thing happen to them as  i cant seem to find a similar thread and would be nice to read someone else's  experience.
  • joshua12000
    Options
    Thanks for the replies.
  • joshua12000
    Options
    Latest update is that i have not had any communication from the dwp now getting on 12 weeks since had telephone assessment. 

How long should i leave it before contacting dwp again took ages to get through to them last time. 
  • joshua12000
    Options
    Strange weird call today from ESA saying could they take some details from me as pip had been in contact with them and that they needed to update there records.

What is happening been November 2020 since first  contacted them.    
  • foryoureyesonly
    foryoureyesonly Community member Posts: 21 Connected
    Options
    All my time with welfare over 7 years ago they always demanded  letters from Doctors i'm sure your honest but some people are flaking they have to make sure. 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,621 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    All my time with welfare over 7 years ago they always demanded  letters from Doctors i'm sure your honest but some people are flaking they have to make sure. 
    Thats a pretty sweeping statement, the DWP never "demand" letters from anybody, it may help your case if you have written evidence but many people get esa and pip with no such evidence.

For the record I have been claiming benefits for 23 years and they have never ever demanded a letter from anybody off me.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• foryoureyesonly
    foryoureyesonly Community member Posts: 21 Connected
    Options
    Maybe that was a bit harsh its been 7 years but i had to go to my doctor sevreal times for confirmation letters and when they switched to pip they sent me twice and still said i no longer qualified even with her letters.
  • Dianaf
    Dianaf Community member Posts: 29 Connected
    Options
    Hi the assessors write to my gp for a health report and my gp messed things up for me! Saying I was no longer sick when I was still very disabled. The GPS lie as much as the assessors in my opinion. So yes the assessors do sometimes write to GPS. 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.