I've been awarded LCWRA, does that mean I can apply for PIP and not have an assessment? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I've been awarded LCWRA, does that mean I can apply for PIP and not have an assessment?

mrunlucky1st
mrunlucky1st Community member Posts: 10 Listener
edited June 2021 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Good morning
I have been awarded with LCWRA so does that mean I can also apply for pip?
If I've been awarded LCWRA then surely I would not need to have a pip assessment if I can claim it?
Thank you
Tagged:

Comments

• MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    You will still need to be assessed, they are both separate benefits and very different. 

The descriptors for each benefit are different to each other so therefore warrant there own individual assessments. 
  • mrunlucky1st
    Thank you for your reply ?
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi there 

Pip and lcwra are different benefits with different criteria 

You can apply for pip if you meet the eligibility criteria and you could have applied before 

However you will still have a pip assessment 
    Pip looks at your daily living around the home and in community and lcwra looks at your ability to undertake work 
  • Emilyb81
    Emilyb81 Community member Posts: 530 Pioneering
     They aren't the same thing so you have to apply and go through the process to see if you can get pip I don't think there are many ways of avoiding the assessment etc unfortunately :disappointed: 
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @mrunlucky1st

PIP is unrelated to LCWRA so you can definitely go ahead and apply (if you meet the eligibility criteria), however you would still need to have a PIP assessment.  This is because the PIP assessment looks at your ability to carry out activities related to daily living and mobility, whereas the Work Capability Assessment assessed whether or not you were fit for work.  

As mentioned, the eligibility criteria for PIP is:
    You must be aged 16 or over and usually have not reached State Pension age to claim.
    You must also have a physical or mental health condition or disability where you:
    • have had difficulties with daily living or getting around (or both) for 3 months
    • expect these difficulties to continue for at least 9 months
    You usually need to have lived in England, Scotland or Wales for at least 2 of the last 3 years, and be in one of these countries when you apply. If you’ve recently returned from living in an EEA country, you might be able to get PIP sooner.

There are different rules if you’re terminally ill and a healthcare professional has said you might have less than 6 months to live.

You cannot get PIP and Armed Forces Independence Payment at the same time.

If you meet these criteria, visit the Government webpage for details on how to claim.

Please let us know if you have any more questions we can help you with :)
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • mrunlucky1st
    Thank you for your replies I understand the difference now.

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    The government are trialling an assessment process which will collect information to inform decisions on both benefits. The idea is to reduce the number of assessments a claimant has to undergo - but has the obvious disadvantage that a bad assessment could be doubly devastating for a claimant.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    I’ve read about that trial. I think there will always be advantages and disadvantages though. If it worked it would reduce the number of assessments but also as you say a bad assessment could cause more devastation. 
  • cazza6565
    cazza6565 Community member Posts: 93 Courageous
    They have started trials in 3 areas of Scotland but I'm sure I read it's the Child Disability ones first. I'm in Glasgow but it's not here yet. I need to agree with you Mark as it could be a bad thing for some people
  • calcotti
    cazza6565 said:
    They have started trials in 3 areas of Scotland but I'm sure I read it's the Child Disability ones first. I'm in Glasgow but it's not here yet. I need to agree with you Mark as it could be a bad thing for some people
    Scotland are doing their own thing which is separate to what is happening elsewhere.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Poppins
    Poppins Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Hi,im in N Ireland and have been awarded the extra money on universal credit because I’m unfit to work.But iv been told I have to wait at least 13 weeks.Will I still get the £81 im getting every 2 to 2 and a half weeks on top of this which is what I was lead to believe
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,348 Disability Gamechanger
    Poppins said:
    Hi,im in N Ireland and have been awarded the extra money on universal credit because I’m unfit to work.But iv been told I have to wait at least 13 weeks.Will I still get the £81 im getting every 2 to 2 and a half weeks on top of this which is what I was lead to believe

When claiming UC you will only recieve the extra £354.28 per month, if you were found to have LCWRA and you're not claiming UC with a partner that already has this element on your UC.
    It's paid on top of what you already receive. £81 per month isn't alot, there must be some deductions with that, are you working or claiming SSP from your employer? If so then you'll also now have the work allowance, which means you can earn a certain amount of money each month before the dedcutions apply. So they may also owe you some extra money for this.
    It's paid from the 4th month after you first reported your health condition. When it's paid from will depend on what date you reported your health condition and when you usually receive your money each month.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • calcotti
    edited June 2022
    poppy123456 said:..£81 per month isn't alot,..
    The £81 is a half month payment so £162/month.
    Poppins said:
    ..Will I still get the £81 im getting every 2 to 2 and a half weeks ..
    Nonetheless, as you say, it's not a lot.
  • Danlangridge88
    Danlangridge88 Community member Posts: 33 Connected
    edited August 2023
    calcotti said:
    The government are trialling an assessment process which will collect information to inform decisions on both benefits. The idea is to reduce the number of assessments a claimant has to undergo 
    From what I understand that's not entirely correct. They're going to do one assessment, yes, but it's just for PIP, not to decide for both benefits. LCW and LCWRA are being scrapped altogether and is being replaced by a 'health' element, which you can only get if you're awarded PIP. It's no longer an out of work benefit (therefor no one will be limited capability to work and therefore csn be forced in to work) its just basically a PIP top up. So if you fail the assessment, you won't get either.

I like the idea of one assessment, but it should be like both assessments in one to see if you are eligible for EITHER benefit but thats not the case you cant get one or the other, you get both or none. This whole new 'health element' is going  to be detrimental to a lot off people who don't qualify for PIP but are unable to work as they will eventually lose LCW/LCWRA  altogether when this is implemented 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,348 Disability Gamechanger
    calcotti said:
    The government are trialling an assessment process which will collect information to inform decisions on both benefits. The idea is to reduce the number of assessments a claimant has to undergo 
    From what I understand that's not entirely correct. They're going to do one assessment, yes, but it's just for PIP, not to decide for both benefits. LCW and LCWRA are being scrapped altogether and is being replaced by a 'health' element, which you can only get if you're awarded PIP. It's no longer an out of work benefit (therefor no one will be limited capability to work and therefore csn be forced in to work) its just basically a PIP top up. So if you fail the assessment, you won't get either.

You've posted on a thread that's 13 months old. At that time the "health and disability white paper" hadn't even been announced. If that does go ahead it won't be until at least 2029. At the moment no one knows what may happen because there's not enough of imformation to determine anything.

At the moment the WCA and PIP are two completely different benefits.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Danlangridge88
    Danlangridge88 Community member Posts: 33 Connected
    Oh sorry I didn't realise! Anyway if anyone was confused by it all I hope I've cleared it up for them 😊

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.