PIP, DLA and AA
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

I've been awarded LCWRA, does that mean I can apply for PIP and not have an assessment?

mrunlucky1stmrunlucky1st Member Posts: 10 Listener
edited June 17 in PIP, DLA and AA
Good morning
I have been awarded with LCWRA so does that mean I can also apply for pip?
If I've been awarded LCWRA then surely I would not need to have a pip assessment if I can claim it?
Thank you
Tagged:

Replies

• MarkN88MarkN88 Member Posts: 1,297 Pioneering
    You will still need to be assessed, they are both separate benefits and very different. 

The descriptors for each benefit are different to each other so therefore warrant there own individual assessments. 
  • mrunlucky1stmrunlucky1st Member Posts: 10 Listener
    Thank you for your reply 👍
  • janer1967janer1967 Member Posts: 11,201 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi there 

Pip and lcwra are different benefits with different criteria 

You can apply for pip if you meet the eligibility criteria and you could have applied before 

However you will still have a pip assessment 
    Pip looks at your daily living around the home and in community and lcwra looks at your ability to undertake work 
  • Emilyb81Emilyb81 Member Posts: 456 Pioneering
     They aren't the same thing so you have to apply and go through the process to see if you can get pip I don't think there are many ways of avoiding the assessment etc unfortunately :disappointed: 
  • Cher_ScopeCher_Scope Posts: 4,038

Scope community team

Hello @mrunlucky1st

PIP is unrelated to LCWRA so you can definitely go ahead and apply (if you meet the eligibility criteria), however you would still need to have a PIP assessment.  This is because the PIP assessment looks at your ability to carry out activities related to daily living and mobility, whereas the Work Capability Assessment assessed whether or not you were fit for work.  

As mentioned, the eligibility criteria for PIP is:
    You must be aged 16 or over and usually have not reached State Pension age to claim.
    You must also have a physical or mental health condition or disability where you:
    • have had difficulties with daily living or getting around (or both) for 3 months
    • expect these difficulties to continue for at least 9 months
    You usually need to have lived in England, Scotland or Wales for at least 2 of the last 3 years, and be in one of these countries when you apply. If you’ve recently returned from living in an EEA country, you might be able to get PIP sooner.

There are different rules if you’re terminally ill and a healthcare professional has said you might have less than 6 months to live.

You cannot get PIP and Armed Forces Independence Payment at the same time.

If you meet these criteria, visit the Government webpage for details on how to claim.

Please let us know if you have any more questions we can help you with :)
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.
  • mrunlucky1stmrunlucky1st Member Posts: 10 Listener
    Thank you for your replies I understand the difference now.

• calcotticalcotti Member Posts: 2,217 Pioneering
    The government are trialling an assessment process which will collect information to inform decisions on both benefits. The idea is to reduce the number of assessments a claimant has to undergo - but has the obvious disadvantage that a bad assessment could be doubly devastating for a claimant.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • MarkN88MarkN88 Member Posts: 1,297 Pioneering
    I’ve read about that trial. I think there will always be advantages and disadvantages though. If it worked it would reduce the number of assessments but also as you say a bad assessment could cause more devastation. 
  • cazza6565cazza6565 Member Posts: 44 Connected
    They have started trials in 3 areas of Scotland but I'm sure I read it's the Child Disability ones first. I'm in Glasgow but it's not here yet. I need to agree with you Mark as it could be a bad thing for some people
  • calcotticalcotti Member Posts: 2,217 Pioneering
    cazza6565 said:
    They have started trials in 3 areas of Scotland but I'm sure I read it's the Child Disability ones first. I'm in Glasgow but it's not here yet. I need to agree with you Mark as it could be a bad thing for some people
    Scotland are doing their own thing which is separate to what is happening elsewhere.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
Sign in or join us to comment.