Opinions of the benefit cap? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Opinions of the benefit cap?

Options
fizzle
fizzle Community member Posts: 3 Listener
What are everyone’s thoughts on the benefit cap and do you think there should be more exceptions? Is it too high? Too low? 
Really curious what everyone thinks about it and hoping for a discussion. 
I’m currently capped and everyone I speak to seems to agree with the cap and thinks it’s a good thing just wondering if anyone is opposed?

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,621 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @fizzle hi and welcome to scope, hope you are well today?
    I don't really do discussion on benefits legislation because nothing we talk about on here will make a blind bit of difference, if pushed I would say I agree there should be a cap but I'm not sure if the current cap is the right one.
    I assume that you would be against a cap?
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• fizzle
    fizzle Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Options
    Hello @woodbine and thank you for the warm welcome! 
    I reckon most people feel their opinion on legislation makes no difference at all, I know I do! I still find it interesting to hear people’s thoughts.

I wouldn’t say I’m against the benefit cap completely but I do think it should be set in a way that doesn’t include rent/housing costs.
    We can’t help how much rent is, if that makes sense? 
    I’m not sure what better system there would be though.

being honest I’m not totally sure I understand the reason it was introduced in the first place ? 
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I think whichever way it is not everyone wants to work the cap will probably cause more problems for incentive to work wages need to be higher everyone who works should be on a decent liveing wage not a minimum wage and tax should be lower 

Maybe then we might get somewhere 
  • Peter99
    Peter99 Community member Posts: 65 Connected
    edited June 2021
    Options
    Of course the DWP objective of benefit cap has nothing to do with saving money and oppression of the vulnerables.....  that is what DWP wants us to believe 

Brightness