I haven't left the house in 7 months, and struggle to walk. Is this classed as a mobility issue? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I haven't left the house in 7 months, and struggle to walk. Is this classed as a mobility issue?

Popdiva43
Popdiva43 Community member Posts: 170 Pioneering
edited June 2021 in PIP, DLA, and AA
I would just like to ask a question, I haven't really left my house in 7 months the only time I have left is to go to a doctors appointment, haven't had the money to get taxi or anyone to drive me there, the doctors should only take me 5mins to walk as close, but took me over 35 mins to get there using 2 crutches to walk and the pain was unbearable that I had to sit down every 2 mins to get my breathe back,and I had someone walk with me, now is the classed as a mobility issue? 

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Yes it would be 

I suggest you consider maybe getting a wheelchair or mobility scooter it would give you much more freedom 
  • Popdiva43
    Pip gave me 0 points for mobility what should I of got please 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Not really for us to predict as lots of factors to consider 

Did you point out how far you can walk and how long it takes 

Might be worth you looking closely at the mobility descriptors to see where you fit and appealing if you don't agree 
  • Emilyb81
    Emilyb81 Community member Posts: 530 Pioneering
    edited June 2021
    Hope I posted this right? And hope it helps you see what's looked at?... 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    May I just add that you need to be able to do an activity 'reliably', i.e. safely, to an acceptable standard, be able to do it repeatedly as in as often as it would be reasonable to expect a person to want to do, & in a reasonable period of time.
    So, with what you describe, it certainly took you more than twice as long to walk with your crutches than it would a person without your disability, as you had to keep stopping due to the pain. As Emily's screenshot shows, it would be a question of how far you could walk, bearing in mind it may take you longer, before you would have to stop, rest a bit, then resume walking.
    Have you recently got your PIP decision letter?
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    This page which lists all the descriptor and importantly fully explains the reliability test referred to by chiarieds
    https://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/personal-independence-payment-pip/pip-points-system
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Popdiva43
    Yer I told the assessor that was the only time had left the house as had to see doctor, the only way I could get there was walk with someone with me, and after that hadn't left house at all as couldn't walk anywhere, but she put in all discpriptors that because I walked that one time, with alot of rest stops, that I can manage everything else, which is incorrect. 
  • Popdiva43
    Oh and sorry but after that I've had telephone calls with doctors,medicine has been had to be delivered to me, and was referred as urgent to msk clinic, which ws also a telephone call. 
  • Emilyb81
    Emilyb81 Community member Posts: 530 Pioneering
    The only thing you can do if you feel that you should of scored more points for mobility is a mandatory reconsideration?.... But think it may depend how long ago you got the decision etc? 
  • Popdiva43
    I'm at the tribunal stage I have it on the 16th of july
  • Popdiva43
    I don't think the decision makers looked at my evidence, as i have a manual and automatic car appently but haven't driven since September last year and in my evidence I said I don't have a car, and can't walk but they didn't seem interested. 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    In that case, don't worry, as with tribunals they know how inaccurate assessor's reports can be, & will just want to hear your own evidence, so tell it as you have done here. For activities of daily living, for each applicable activity/descriptor, try & give a couple of real life examples as to how you were at the time of your assessment. Why was attempting/doing an activity difficult, did anyone witness it, what exactly happened, & how did it leave you feeling afterwards, or what was the consequence? Do remember the concept of reliability. Above all, concentrate on your own evidence rather than waste time saying too much about the assessor's report. Please come back with any questions.
  • Popdiva43
    Thanks for the help, just sometimes things that I say come out incorrect, I get nervous, but on the good side I have my daughter who will be next to me on the call and she wrote the tribunal a letter stating what she does for me
  • Sammiecat75
    Sammiecat75 Community member Posts: 61 Connected
    Im in the same position as you i had major surgery on my leg and cannot walk.without aides..i dont think i will get anything from them it has only taken 7 months nearly fir my assesment i think its so unfair to do this over a phone..im ready for a MR if i dont get awarded

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.