PIP, DLA and AA
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

I haven't left the house in 7 months, and struggle to walk. Is this classed as a mobility issue?

Popdiva43Popdiva43 Member Posts: 125 Pioneering
edited June 21 in PIP, DLA and AA
I would just like to ask a question, I haven't really left my house in 7 months the only time I have left is to go to a doctors appointment, haven't had the money to get taxi or anyone to drive me there, the doctors should only take me 5mins to walk as close, but took me over 35 mins to get there using 2 crutches to walk and the pain was unbearable that I had to sit down every 2 mins to get my breathe back,and I had someone walk with me, now is the classed as a mobility issue? 

Replies

• janer1967janer1967 Member Posts: 11,008 Disability Gamechanger
    Yes it would be 

I suggest you consider maybe getting a wheelchair or mobility scooter it would give you much more freedom 
  • Popdiva43Popdiva43 Member Posts: 125 Pioneering
    Pip gave me 0 points for mobility what should I of got please 
  • janer1967janer1967 Member Posts: 11,008 Disability Gamechanger
    Not really for us to predict as lots of factors to consider 

Did you point out how far you can walk and how long it takes 

Might be worth you looking closely at the mobility descriptors to see where you fit and appealing if you don't agree 
  • Emilyb81Emilyb81 Member Posts: 394 Pioneering
    edited June 20
    Hope I posted this right? And hope it helps you see what's looked at?... 
  • chiariedschiarieds Community Co-Production Group Posts: 9,048 Disability Gamechanger
    May I just add that you need to be able to do an activity 'reliably', i.e. safely, to an acceptable standard, be able to do it repeatedly as in as often as it would be reasonable to expect a person to want to do, & in a reasonable period of time.
    So, with what you describe, it certainly took you more than twice as long to walk with your crutches than it would a person without your disability, as you had to keep stopping due to the pain. As Emily's screenshot shows, it would be a question of how far you could walk, bearing in mind it may take you longer, before you would have to stop, rest a bit, then resume walking.
    Have you recently got your PIP decision letter?
  • calcotticalcotti Member Posts: 2,125 Pioneering
    This page which lists all the descriptor and importantly fully explains the reliability test referred to by chiarieds
    https://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/personal-independence-payment-pip/pip-points-system
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
    Yer I told the assessor that was the only time had left the house as had to see doctor, the only way I could get there was walk with someone with me, and after that hadn't left house at all as couldn't walk anywhere, but she put in all discpriptors that because I walked that one time, with alot of rest stops, that I can manage everything else, which is incorrect. 
    Oh and sorry but after that I've had telephone calls with doctors,medicine has been had to be delivered to me, and was referred as urgent to msk clinic, which ws also a telephone call. 
  • Emilyb81Emilyb81 Member Posts: 394 Pioneering
    The only thing you can do if you feel that you should of scored more points for mobility is a mandatory reconsideration?.... But think it may depend how long ago you got the decision etc? 
    I'm at the tribunal stage I have it on the 16th of july
    I don't think the decision makers looked at my evidence, as i have a manual and automatic car appently but haven't driven since September last year and in my evidence I said I don't have a car, and can't walk but they didn't seem interested. 
  • chiariedschiarieds Community Co-Production Group Posts: 9,048 Disability Gamechanger
    In that case, don't worry, as with tribunals they know how inaccurate assessor's reports can be, & will just want to hear your own evidence, so tell it as you have done here. For activities of daily living, for each applicable activity/descriptor, try & give a couple of real life examples as to how you were at the time of your assessment. Why was attempting/doing an activity difficult, did anyone witness it, what exactly happened, & how did it leave you feeling afterwards, or what was the consequence? Do remember the concept of reliability. Above all, concentrate on your own evidence rather than waste time saying too much about the assessor's report. Please come back with any questions.
    Thanks for the help, just sometimes things that I say come out incorrect, I get nervous, but on the good side I have my daughter who will be next to me on the call and she wrote the tribunal a letter stating what she does for me
  • Sammiecat75Sammiecat75 Member Posts: 61 Connected
    Im in the same position as you i had major surgery on my leg and cannot walk.without aides..i dont think i will get anything from them it has only taken 7 months nearly fir my assesment i think its so unfair to do this over a phone..im ready for a MR if i dont get awarded
  • mikehughescqmikehughescq Member Posts: 6,533 Disability Gamechanger
    I think what you have here is some pretty fundamental confusion and a major credibility issue.

On the one hand you’re talking about being unable to leave the house at all because of pain and on the other you’re talking about needing someone with you. 

One of those directs you to mobility 1 and the other potentially to mobility 2. Which one is it you think you’re going for and why? If your issue is pain then having another person with you is neither here nor there. That person can’t relieve the pain. Presumably you’re not sitting on them when you rest so why do you need another person there? You need to be clear about whether you’re going for 1 or 2 and what the role of the other person is.

I think you also need to have a think about the consequences of what you’re describing. Where a person is in so much pain they can walk for a mere 2 minutes that suggests the pain was there before they started walking. You need to be crystal clear about that and in describing what it is that happens in those 2 minutes which causes you to stop. Is it something which happens outdoors or indoors also? If only outdoors then why? What’s so specific to outdoors that doesn’t happen indoors? 

By my calculations you’re taking 7x as long to complete a 1/4 mile journey assuming you would ordinarily walk around 3mph. That means with no breaks you’d be walking at  0.43 miles an hour. However, you say you break every 2 minutes so for the whole thing to last 35 minutes with breaks every 2 minutes you must be walking at a pace invisible to the human eye. That is simply not credible and no tribunal will accept it as you describe it here. Equally, you say explicitly that you sit. You stop and sit every 2 minutes on a 1/4 mile walk? And there happen to be places you can sit every single time you stop? Again, that would mean a seat or a wall roughly every 5 to 10 yards or so. Again, that stretches credibility to the very limits. Look out of your front room window. Is it really the case you could physically sit every few yards? On what exactly?

I am not disbelieving your pain or breathlessness for a second. My point is that your descriptions currently do not add up using very simple maths. A tribunal is not going to buy what you’re saying as it’s been said here. Human beings, myself included, are generally terrible at estimating time, speed and distance. I suggest you sit down with Google Maps and firstly get your distance right. Then you need to ask yourself where 35 minutes came from and how long you stop for. Are the lengths of each stop broadly similar or do they lengthen as the pain/breathlessness gets worse? Are you sitting down every 2 minutes or are you really pausing and resting against things? Where do the crutches go when you sit down? Then, where does help from another person enter into any of this?

Basically, in order to build a credible case around your mobility issues you’re going to need a detailed, credible end to end description of your walking ability from before you walk to during and after. 
Sign in or join us to comment.