Hi, I'm taraco! I'm looking to move from council property to private housing due to noise issues. — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, I'm taraco! I'm looking to move from council property to private housing due to noise issues.

taraco
taraco Community member Posts: 7 Listener
I’m trying to figure out how I can help myself to move property. I was moved from private housing into council following Neuro advice. The flat I live in has beautiful views (I cried when first seen!) but zero insulation between my Gff and upstairs. The noise is unbearable and has affected me badly. I’ve been advised to go back into private housing but I’ve been waiting for months from a support service. Anyone face noise issues and had to move?

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi there 
    Sorry to hear about your housing problems 

Have you reported the issues to the council 

There is a shortage of social and private rent housing 

Look on gumtree as well as they advertise on there as well as estate agency like purple bricks,  zoopla , right move 

Good luck let us know how you get on 
  • taraco
    Thank you for your swift reply! Really appreciate the support. I will be checking gumtree shorty, thank you :)
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @taraco - & welcome to the community. That's such a shame that you're having noise issues when you like your flat. There's a little further info on Shelter, which in addition to the agencies, etc. Jane mentions, has a link with info on letting agents, etc. Please see: https://england.shelter.org.uk/housing_advice/private_renting/how_to_find_a_private_rented_home
    You could also try facebook. Altho we recently sold a bungalow through an Estate Agent, my daughter thought to put a link to these agents on facebook (for the area in which the bungalow was located), & that was where our buyer saw about the property. So a facebook group for your local area might be helpful.
    Hope you find somewhere. :)
  • taraco
    Always helpful, thank you. I enquired on FB earlier but lady stopped messaging when I mentioned I’m employed but get DWP support. I know they can’t deny now but they can decline for any reason, it’s frustrating as I’ve worked since I was 11! 
    I’m sure I’ll get something but I also want to ensure nobody else with health needs is moved here. Huge lack of responsibility on the councils behalf :( 
    thanks again for the link :)
  • chiarieds
    You're very welcome @taraco :) You could also try here then: http://www.dssmove.co.uk/

• taraco
    So appreciate this thank you. I’ve just had a fall so I better had lay and stop fretting! 
  • janer1967
    Hope you are OK after the fall are you injured at all ? 

Make sure you get medical attention if injured 
  • chiarieds
    How are you @taraco ? I thought I'd posted asking if you were OK before, but must have forgotten to post my reply. The joys of keeping my son's dog & my cat apart today has got me a little frazzled. Take care, & kindly let us know how you get on, thank you.
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    edited June 2021
    Hello and welcome @taraco How are you now?  I hope the fall wasn't too nasty?  Please keep us updated with how you are, and definitely do seek medical attention if you feel you need it.

I'm sorry you're having to move from your lovely flat due to noise issues.  Have you ever reported this to your local council or housing management officer, and if so, did they do anything?

You've been given some brilliant advice by our members, and in addition to this you might find some handy snippets on Scope's 'Finding accessible housing' webpage.  

Good luck with your house search and just to let you know, I've tweaked the title of your thread and moved it to our Housing and independent living category to help others with a similar query.  
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • taraco
    As thank you lovelies! It wasn’t a bad fall but I feel odd and exhausted so will rest it off and think about my escape another day. Hopefully won’t be too bad with noise tonight. - I did complain, esp after needing to seek mental health treatment due to it but they didn’t acknowledge what I was saying (conveniently) and declined to properly insulate or even visit. I’m 100% alone so it’s all very hard to juggle. It’s a good job we’re all made of tough stuff. 
    Thank you all  :smile:
  • chiarieds
    So long as you're OK, & thank you for letting us know. Tomorrow is another day, & you'll get there. :)
  • janer1967
    I suggest you keep a log 8f all the times it is too noisy eg date time how long for and type of noise 

Also try record noise level on your phone 

You can then report it as anti social behaviour 
  • taraco
    Aw it’s not anti social though, it’s lack on insulation and totally the councils fault. I’m 36 & they moved a 21 yr old 1 week after I moved in. She has tons of family and they always stay Over. I’ve sent the council recordings, it’s insane that they’d move anyone with health issues here. I accepted it because the areas nice and the view is amazing. My luck ha, x
  • janer1967
    I have same issue I'm in bungalow due to disability and my neighbour is 23 year old and her partner neither have any disability could live in house and let someone needing a bungalow have it but that's social housing for you 

They play loud music frequently but I try not to let it bother me 
  • taraco
    Typical isn’t it. I’d probably be able to survive it if it wasn’t so bad in the bedroom. I can hear her bed springs, convos, her floor and my ceiling are visibly not insulated, it’s probably illegal. I found dodgy EPC certificates that clearly have been made up to get clearance. A good example was when she was chopping veg one morning and it sounded like she was hammering the floor. It would be easier and quieter to live with her. I despair. X - so sorry you’re going through similar thing, it’s just rotten. I’ve missed my infusion due to my blood pressure, it’s having too much of an impact. Still the council don’t even want to return my calls. I would have moved back into private in a breath if I could but it’s very hard to move by myself. X

Brightness