Access to Work, talking to future employer about it — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Access to Work, talking to future employer about it

JazzieJo
JazzieJo Community member Posts: 18 Connected
edited June 2021 in Work and employment
Hi everyone!

So I recently completed my BA course at University this May, and found out today I have secured a job in my field, motion graphics!! I start in two weeks and I was wondering when to apply for Access to Work and how to talk to my employer about it as I haven't told them about my autism yet (High functioning Asperger's). Getting help with travel is all I need support with, it really helped me when I was at university, I got taxis with DSA. But I don't want my employer to think though that I am less capable so I'm wondering if it's worth the risk. Some advice would really help, especially with the Access to Work application process and what they say to employers.

Thanks!
Tagged:

Comments

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    edited June 2021
    Hello @JazzieJo

I hope you are doing okay, massive congratulations on securing the job, sounds super.

You've gone through the application process and clearly impressed them with your capability to do the job, so I can't see them viewing you as less capable if you tell them about your autism. 

If you need support with travel, it's normally better to have the conversation with work as early as possible, so that you can get the help in place sooner rather than later, because the ATW process can sometimes take a while.

If your employer isn't overly sure about the benefits of Access to Work, you could direct them to this page on the Scope website that explains all about it, or even this page on the Gov.uk website. It's probably best to consider the kind of support you think you might need before having the conversations, because it will make it easier for your employer to consider, for example you might want to think about what sort of travel you would want assistance  or funding for, which appears to be taxis. 

You  can apply for ATW online or over the phone, and it just involves answering some questions about the sort of things you might need help with in order to do your job to the best of your ability. You'll normally be assigned an ATW officer and then you'll receive an assessment where they will determine what sort of help you might need. However I find them to be quite receptive to what the claimant wants in terms of support, and willing to take suggestions.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi there 

Great you have secured the job well done 

I would highly recommend you discuss this with your employer at the first opportunity si they can support you

Atw may not fund all the cost just a part of it depends on circumstances 

Keep us updated on the outcome 
  • MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    The staff guide available on the gov website explains how they look at your application and should help you understand what you could be entitled to. 
  • JazzieJo
    JazzieJo Community member Posts: 18 Connected
    Hello @JazzieJo

I hope you are doing okay, massive congratulations on securing the job, sounds super.

You've gone through the application process and clearly impressed them with your capability to do the job, so I can't see them viewing you as less capable if you tell them about your autism. 

If you need support with travel, it's normally better to have the conversation with work as early as possible, so that you can get the help in place sooner rather than later, because the ATW process can sometimes take a while.

If your employer isn't overly sure about the benefits of Access to Work, you could direct them to this page on the Scope website that explains all about it, or even this page on the Gov.uk website. It's probably best to consider the kind of support you think you might need before having the conversations, because it will make it easier for your employer to consider, for example you might want to think about what sort of travel you would want assistance  or funding for, which appears to be taxis. 

You  can apply for ATW online or over the phone, and it just involves answering some questions about the sort of things you might need help with in order to do your job to the best of your ability. You'll normally be assigned an ATW officer and then you'll receive an assessment where they will determine what sort of help you might need. However I find them to be quite receptive to what the claimant wants in terms of support, and willing to take suggestions.
    Hi thanks for the message, how should I go about telling them? Should I email or call etc? Should ask for HR or a certain department? I really want to do it as casually as possible if you know what I mean, like 'I can't wait to start etc, I live really far away but I don't mind travelling if needed, there happens to be this grant that I might qualify for because I have autism which could help me with travel to and from work' something like that??? Is this too unprofessional??
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Of course it's not too unprofessional @JazzieJo, not at all. 

How you approach it will depend on what's most comfortable for you really, would you prefer to start conversations via email or through a phone call? It might be a good idea to send an email which tags in both the HR department and your soon to be line manager, just to ensure that everyone remains in the loop and you have a copy of the correspondence. 

Unless the company has a team dedicated to handling requests from disabled staff members, then HR is probably your best bet. 
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.

Brightness