I don't know what to do with myself. — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I don't know what to do with myself.

Options
Supernanma
Supernanma Community member Posts: 42 Connected
Do you ever get to a point when you feel that nobody understands you, and people just tell you to pull your socks up, you'll be just fine? The last few months I have taken a nose dive, and haven't found this low for a while. I'm spending my day's in tears, & getting frustrated at myself for not pulling myself out of this. I just cannot motivate myself at all. I had been in a really good place for a period of time, but now I feel myself slipping again. What does everyone do to pull themselves out of these horrible times? Do you have a way of coping? I no longer have any support from the mental health team, sadly. I didn't even know until the other day! Any ideas? I hate feeling like this. Xx

Comments

• Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 50,502 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Supernanma sorry your feeling low at the moment, might be worth getting in touch with your gp, then getting referred back to mental health team for extra support. There are some help lines you can use to talk someone too.
    Music is very good at lifting your mood, happy songs, I hope you start to feel better soon.
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Oh gosh I know how you feel I was there a few months ago and that saying pull your socks up I used to say I don't wear them lol

How I dealt with it was with the help of mental health but they can only do so much and I wrote down the positives in my life and the negatives 

I now work two nights a week and I do an open University degree well it starts in October  and unexpectedly my mum will be comeing to live with me 

I have also joined an exercise class in my village on Wednesdays 6pm to 7pm  the old saying life is what you make it is very true 

Life can be hard and cruel at times though but only ourself can get us through
  • CoffeeFirst
    CoffeeFirst Scope Member Posts: 200 Pioneering
    Options
    @Supernanma, I’m so sorry to hear how you feel right now. I totally get what you mean as I’ve gone through the same feelings. There will always be people out there who just ‘don’t get’ what we mean and it’s frustrating I know. 
    I usually tell myself it’s ok to feel so **** right now and that’s things will improve with time. I’ve  joined a couple of online chats and find them helpful as it makes me feel connected and also keeps me updated with things I’m interested in. Walking is something else I enjoy, so I’m often out and about. Being kind to yourself helps too, think of what you’d say to a friend if it were her telling you. 
    I hope you feel better soon. 
  • CoffeeFirst
    CoffeeFirst Scope Member Posts: 200 Pioneering
    Options
    Sorry forgot to add…a chat with your GP too, see what your options are. Best of luck.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Supernanma - I'm sorry to read that you no longer have any support from your mental health team, & you're feeling rather low. As mentioned above, your GP may be able to help. You can also refer yourself to get some support with IAPT: https://www.nhs.uk/service-search/find-a-psychological-therapies-service/
    There are always people here to talk to too, so I hope we can also help support you, even if it's just a little. :)
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Supernanma :) I was sorry to read that you lost support from the Pathfinders service without knowing. Did you manage to speak to your GP? As the others have said, that could be your best bet for accessing some more support.

As for more self-help type tips, something I find useful to think about when I feel as though I'm in a rut is the concept of 'no zero days'. You can define what a 'zero day' means to you specifically, but it's basically a day where you don't feel as though you've achieved anything. The idea is that you make yourself do something, even if it's really small, every day. This could be having a shower, brushing your teeth, putting away the laundry, doing one puzzle, going outside, cooking a meal, anything really. As you do one small thing, you might find yourself doing other small things that day too, or the next day, and you can feel as though you've achieved something. It's also less overwhelming than feeling as though you should be able to do everything all the time. Is having that mindset something you think could help? 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map

Brightness