Feeling like a second-class citizen — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Feeling like a second-class citizen

Options
Dragonslayer
Dragonslayer Community member Posts: 2,165 Pioneering

Does anyone find that abled bodied people look down on us and don’t want to be around us? Until now I haven’t had any experience of this. 

But after booking a hotel in Cornwall and asking about the services for disability we are now told it does not cater for disability. We now find there are steps to get into it and they only have 3 car park spaces, all on a first come first served basis and no disabled parking available. Other places to park are over 300mts away, on road parking with no guarantee of availability. All this after taking a deposit of £400, now not refundable. This was booked through Booking.com. All we seem to have got from them is a downstairs room. I’m not sure what to think. I don’t think they did it deliberately, it could be just a misunderstanding. But they are now not helpful in any way and it makes us feel unwanted, with feelings that there is something wrong with us and we may offend other guests. 

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi 

That's awful though I don't think it is a case about what other guests may think 

More about incompetence from the company 

I presume they were aware of need for access when it was booked 

I suggest you fight to get your deposit back as it is their error that has prevented it happening and I am sure they will get another booking for it as well 

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,614 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    If they were made aware of your requirements at time of booking then they are in the wrong, did you pay any part of the deposit by credit card ? if so it might be worth looking into section 75, if they keep refusing you a refund.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Dragonslayer
    Options
    @janer1967 @woodbine 1967
    It seems the owner is simply a (Business Man) Who thinks it plausible to 'Fine' people if they are late for booking in. Or coming in late! £25 has been mentioned. Now we find that One couple from Scotland were fined £125 for arriving late that's after a long drive down to say the least.

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I really don't see how fines can be imposed like this what rights does he have to impose a fine 

Have you contacted booking.com after all they are advertising this property and at least should be made aware 

They no doubt will have a disclaimer in place 

You need to get some expert adv7se about this maybe start with Cab see who they suggest unless booking.com have a complaints procedure 
  • Dragonslayer
    Options
    I'm thinking of the Black lives matter movement, for instance.
    Like most I didn't fully understand it. Or what is what they were experiencing.
    But now like them I feel discriminated against. Something I have not experienced before. But now I feel it strongly about it.
    I may be going on a rant now. and forgive me for doing so, I do not want to offend anyone.  But this really gets me going.
    For all lives matter, ours included.

It may only take a moment in time to change the world and how we think about it.
    But maybe we should change it? Or the perception of it?

• Dragonslayer
    Options
    @janer1967
    Thanks for the reply.
    As a business man, he can do this apparently.
    It is just a money-making thing it seems and people like us can fall into the trap.
    But I do have one thing in my arsenal. I am married to a Southern American woman. Who forgive me for saying this takes no **** from anyone?  

Brightness