Hi, I have a 23 year old son who can’t find a job that he can physically and mentally handle — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, I have a 23 year old son who can’t find a job that he can physically and mentally handle

Options
lynnsmith22
lynnsmith22 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited June 2021 in Work and employment
I have a 23 year old son who can’t find a job that he can physically and mentally handle. We are exhausted and don’t know where to turn and are under immense pressure from the job centre 
Tagged:

Comments

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @lynnsmith22

Welcome to the community, sorry to hear that you and your son are struggling at the minute. Is the jobcentre aware of your son's condition and have they taken it into account when setting targets for him?
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi there 

The job centre should have disability work coaches that can support him 

It may be worth him being signed off by gp with fit note and reporting a medical condition and going through the work capability process to see if he can be found limited capability for work 

There is also a job support programme on here in the employment section 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @lynnsmith22 - & welcome to the community. Here's a link to the employment services that Scope has for disabled people. 'Career Pathways' is for young people up to age 25. & there's also 'Support to Work', which we hear much good about too. Please see: https://www.scope.org.uk/employment-services/
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @lynnsmith22 :) I was just wondering whether you'd had a chance to take a look at the comments above? There is help and support available, both in terms of financial support if he's unable to work and employment support if he's looking to enter employment, so please do let us know if you need any more information about either of those areas. 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map

Brightness