Car Tax Discount Question. — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Car Tax Discount Question.

Options
RandyHuggins75
RandyHuggins75 Community member Posts: 6 Listener
edited June 2021 in Transport and travel
Hi All,

I'm hoping that this is the correct sub-forum for this question!

A few months ago I found out that I am eligible for the 50% car tax discount as I am in receipt of the PIP standard rate mobility (wish I'd known about this 4 years ago!)

As my car tax was due at the end of this month I ensured I sent all of the required information & the cheque with over a month to go before it runs out. I sent everything via recorded delivery & I know that they've received & signed for it (I've been burned too many times with government departments losing my forms!)

As of yet I've not heard anything & I'm concerned that I'm not going to hear anything before my current tax expires. My main concern is that I rely on my car & not being allowed to use it because they've not responded in time.

Unfortunately being profoundly deaf I am unable to call them to chase up their progress & do not have access to anyone that could do it on my behalf.  I do wish they would make the process a little easier!

Does anyone here have any experience similar to mine or is able to advise me as to what I could do?

Thanks,

Keith.
Tagged:

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,631 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @RandyHuggins75 hi Keith and welcome to scope how are you?
    Could you email them?
    I assume you have at some point informed the DVLA that you are deaf as it's a notifiable condition?

i did find this on google:

How do I send an email to DVLA Swansea?
    List of DVLA Service Email Address
    1. Customer Service Email: eftd@dvla.gsi.gov.uk.
    2. General Enquiries Email: enquiries@vosa.gov.uk.

2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,616 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You can also use online webchat to get an immediate answer.  GOV.UK - DVLA Webchat

I had to do that about 6 months ago as I am unable to phone either.

Alternatively, you can check if the tax has been applied by checking the dates here. Check if a vehicle is taxed - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)    
  • RandyHuggins75
    Options
    woodbine said:
    @RandyHuggins75 hi Keith and welcome to scope how are you?
    Could you email them?
    I assume you have at some point informed the DVLA that you are deaf as it's a notifiable condition?

i did find this on google:

How do I send an email to DVLA Swansea?
    List of DVLA Service Email Address
    1. Customer Service Email: eftd@dvla.gsi.gov.uk.
    2. General Enquiries Email: enquiries@vosa.gov.uk.

Hi,

Thank you for your kind response, I will look into the email if I do not get any joy with the webchat method as provided by OverlyAnxious.

I must point out that having to inform the DVLA of my deafness as a notifiable condition is incorrect, they only need to be informed if you are holding a bus, coach or lorry license.

Thanks again,

Keith.

• RandyHuggins75
    Options
    You can also use online webchat to get an immediate answer.  GOV.UK - DVLA Webchat

I had to do that about 6 months ago as I am unable to phone either.

Alternatively, you can check if the tax has been applied by checking the dates here. Check if a vehicle is taxed - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)    
    Hi OverlyAnxious,

I did not know that they had a webchat option! I'll give that a go.

I've checked the tax status via the link but it still says it runs out at the end of the month!

Cheers,

Keith.

Brightness