Car Tax Discount Question. — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Car Tax Discount Question.

Options
RandyHuggins75
RandyHuggins75 Community member Posts: 6 Listener
edited June 2021 in Transport and travel
Hi All,

I'm hoping that this is the correct sub-forum for this question!

A few months ago I found out that I am eligible for the 50% car tax discount as I am in receipt of the PIP standard rate mobility (wish I'd known about this 4 years ago!)

As my car tax was due at the end of this month I ensured I sent all of the required information & the cheque with over a month to go before it runs out. I sent everything via recorded delivery & I know that they've received & signed for it (I've been burned too many times with government departments losing my forms!)

As of yet I've not heard anything & I'm concerned that I'm not going to hear anything before my current tax expires. My main concern is that I rely on my car & not being allowed to use it because they've not responded in time.

Unfortunately being profoundly deaf I am unable to call them to chase up their progress & do not have access to anyone that could do it on my behalf.  I do wish they would make the process a little easier!

Does anyone here have any experience similar to mine or is able to advise me as to what I could do?

Thanks,

Keith.
Tagged:

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,621 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @RandyHuggins75 hi Keith and welcome to scope how are you?
    Could you email them?
    I assume you have at some point informed the DVLA that you are deaf as it's a notifiable condition?

i did find this on google:

How do I send an email to DVLA Swansea?
    List of DVLA Service Email Address
    1. Customer Service Email: eftd@dvla.gsi.gov.uk.
    2. General Enquiries Email: enquiries@vosa.gov.uk.

2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,616 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You can also use online webchat to get an immediate answer.  GOV.UK - DVLA Webchat

I had to do that about 6 months ago as I am unable to phone either.

Alternatively, you can check if the tax has been applied by checking the dates here. Check if a vehicle is taxed - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)    
  • RandyHuggins75
    Options
    woodbine said:
    @RandyHuggins75 hi Keith and welcome to scope how are you?
    Could you email them?
    I assume you have at some point informed the DVLA that you are deaf as it's a notifiable condition?

i did find this on google:

How do I send an email to DVLA Swansea?
    List of DVLA Service Email Address
    1. Customer Service Email: eftd@dvla.gsi.gov.uk.
    2. General Enquiries Email: enquiries@vosa.gov.uk.

Hi,

Thank you for your kind response, I will look into the email if I do not get any joy with the webchat method as provided by OverlyAnxious.

I must point out that having to inform the DVLA of my deafness as a notifiable condition is incorrect, they only need to be informed if you are holding a bus, coach or lorry license.

Thanks again,

Keith.

• RandyHuggins75
    Options
    You can also use online webchat to get an immediate answer.  GOV.UK - DVLA Webchat

I had to do that about 6 months ago as I am unable to phone either.

Alternatively, you can check if the tax has been applied by checking the dates here. Check if a vehicle is taxed - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)    
    Hi OverlyAnxious,

I did not know that they had a webchat option! I'll give that a go.

I've checked the tax status via the link but it still says it runs out at the end of the month!

Cheers,

Keith.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.