Do DWP transfer info from P60U direct to HMRC, or do I have to input details on HMRC page? — Scope | Disability forum

Do DWP transfer info from P60U direct to HMRC, or do I have to input details on HMRC page?

Girl_No1 Member Posts: 124 Pioneering
I have received my P60U.  Last tax year is the first time I have received benefits - previously PAYE for decades.   HMRC site says they have not yet calculated my tax bill for 20/21.

My question is:  Do DWP transfer info from P60U direct to HMRC, or do I have to input details on HMRC online page?



  • Cher_Inactive
    Cher_Inactive Posts: 4,414

    Scope community team

    Hi @Girl_No1

    Apologies this was missed when originally posted, have you had any progress since?

    Tax isn't my specialist area but I believe DWP send a copy of the P60U to HMRC. Also, something to bear in mind is that not all benefits are taxable.  Specifically - Universal Credit, Income-related ESA, PIP and other disability benefits are not taxable but New Style ESA and Contributions based ESA are. 

    I hope that's of some help.  Take care and speak again soon.
    Online Community Co-ordinator

    Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

    Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community Co-Production Group Posts: 6,053 Disability Gamechanger
    You don't need to do anything.
    Be kind to newer members
  • Girl_No1
    Girl_No1 Member Posts: 124 Pioneering
    @Cher_Scope and @woodbine thank you both for replying.  It's ESA which is taxable and the P60U so I'm currently waiting on HMRC updating my allowance for this year ..... hope they get to it in time for next year!  :) 
  • flippyflop
    flippyflop Member Posts: 8 Listener
    Hi my question is similar to yours I’m waiting for Esa to send my p60u to Hmrc but I can’t seem to get them to send it on ,I’m waiting for a tax refund due from my previous job before I was laid off through ill health Hmrc have all my other details they need but are waiting for this. I can’t seem to talk to anyone who actually deals with sending these on to Hmrc.
  • Girl_No1
    Girl_No1 Member Posts: 124 Pioneering
    @flippyflop you have my sympathy.   I hope you're able to have this resolved sooner than later.

    I hope I'm an "isolated incident" but I truly dread to think the mess my tax will be in by the time ESA "eventually" update HMRC of my entitlement. 

    I owe ESA money, due to my occupational pension taking a couple of months to finalise.  ESA owe me money due to me being placed in the support group. 

    I have been trying, since February, to resolve this.  I've spent way too much time on hold to speak with both ESA and Debt Management.  No-one appears to want to own the fact something somewhere has gone wrong!

    I received a letter 06/05/21 telling me the figures I owed, the amount owed to me and I should expect to receive the adjusted money owed to me within five days.  Simple subtraction and release of funds, you'd think eh?   

    Fast forward two months, eight calls later, and three promises of "escalated" call back requests (none of them fruitful) and I've given up. 

    I just don't have the mental energy to battle with this level of incompetence/disinterest any more.
  • flippyflop
    flippyflop Member Posts: 8 Listener
    I’m very sorry to hear your problems Girl NO1 I hope you get it sorted soon I know it’s a nightmare trying to talk to Esa about issues and for them to follow it up .Good luck in trying to sort it out 
  • Girl_No1
    Girl_No1 Member Posts: 124 Pioneering
    @flippyflop thanks.  As I said, I've given up, put it out of my mind and my partner has diaried that if I haven't heard anything in eight weeks, I'll pick it back up then!  :) 


Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.