'Surprise' phone call from DWP — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

'Surprise' phone call from DWP

Shuffly
Shuffly Community member Posts: 4 Listener
Hi all, 

At lunchtime today I received a phone call out of the blue from DWP - a lady wanted to "talk to me about my ESA". I've been in the ESA Support Group for 11 years. Unfortunately I suffer from anxiety that prevents me from answering the phone and all my calls go to voicemail so that I can decide if I can call them back or not (I keep requesting DWP only contact me in writing but being the DWP, they continually ignore that request). So I didn't answer the call.

I am of couse now very worried indeed.

Does anyone know what this call means? I can't think why they have called me - I currently have a Mandatory Reconsideration request under review, but that's for a lower-than-expected PIP award in April, nothing to do with ESA.

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    To be honest, we can all offer suggestions, but it’s all going to be guess work and assumptions at this stage. Will you be able to call them back or have someone do this on your behalf? 
  • Shuffly
    Unfortunately I've just lost my latest support worker (current treatment plan ended with no 'cure' as usual) or they could do it. I'm back in the queue now and it will be months until I can start a new treatment cycle. No-one else is available, unfortunately.

I suppose I'll have to bite the bullet and call them back, rather than get another 'surprise' when my ESA payment doesn't go into my account next week.  :/
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    If there is any possibility you can call them that would be the best option 

Let us know the outcome 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,097 Disability Gamechanger
    Hope you manage to call them back @Shuffly - the lesser of 2 evils rather than worrying about it for days.
  • Shuffly
    I summoned up the courage to call back using 1471, only to hear a recorded message along the lines of "Thank you for calling the DWP. We tried to call you earlier today but were unable to speak to you. Please do not call us, if we need more information we will call you again."

:/ 

Thanks for all your suggestions, I'll definitely write to 'remind' them I'd prefer to be communicated with in writing.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.