Pip refused :( How have people got on with the next steps of challenging their decision? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Pip refused :( How have people got on with the next steps of challenging their decision?

Options
em1dog
em1dog Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited June 2021 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi everyone

today I had the letter to say that they decided I can do all of these things despite never meeting me face to face. I actually feel like they have responded to the wrong assessment as there are references to things that were not mentioned or acknowledged in my telephone assessment. 
It was such a difficult conversation for me to have I sat alone as I wanted them to get a real feel for who I was without support and I had to keep stopping as I was getting upset to the point where I couldn’t talk, yet they reported that I showed no anxiousness I was confident talking about my health and I communicated well building a rapport with my assessor.
has anyone else had a situation like this? I also have physical problems which are aiding my mobility, and despite me filling my form in saying all of this it says they have decided I do not need help with getting dressed, I do not need help to cook a meal I do not need help planning a route….. we had an extensive discussion about that with me saying I only drive to school and back as I know the route very well, any where else someone comes with me as I have real anxiety about driving and getting lost/not been able to follow sat nav. She also put that I can play board games with my children, which is total rubbish as my 2 year old isnt there yet and my son gave all his board games to charity as he never played with them so I wouldn’t say something specific that was not true. Also as I can sit there and watch tv with my children I show concentration and motivation to do so….. I sit there zoned out just sat next to them. How can they make such awful judgments on people when the questions they ask they do not want the full in depth answer, they aren’t even seeing people in the flesh at the moment. I’m so angry and upset about it, they’ve made me feel like I’m lying about my condition, it’s bad enough having to admit I need help at the age of 36 never mind been belittled about it by someone who doesn’t even know me…..
how have people got on with their next steps of challenging their decision? 

Comments

• cwatson0000
    cwatson0000 Community member Posts: 56 Connected
    Options
    Hi there, 
    Im currently waiting for a decision on my PIP claim but I know from other people who have claimed PIP that it is possible for the DWP or DfC to mix up assessments between people. It’s always good to ask for a mandatory reconsideration. Did you send in any medical evidence with your claim? If not you should get people that know about your health conditions such as friends and family to write statements but even more useful a letter from your GP or any other health professionals. You can also go to Citizens Advice as they made be able to assist you further. Good luck, don’t give up make sure you get what you’re entitled to! 
  • charlotte84
    charlotte84 Community member Posts: 96 Courageous
    Options
    @Username_removed sorry to bother you and ask you another question but can you please tell me why gp letters of support are useless. Thankyou 
  • MrsSam
    MrsSam Community member Posts: 16 Connected
    Options
    Hi, I’m sorry you have had this decision and it has made you feel this way. I don’t know if you have read your assessment report or the decision letter, but if you haven’t had the report I would request it. I am still awaiting my PIP decision, although I have had a copy of the report. However, my son who has ADHA, Autism, anxiety, hyper mobility and epilepsy had a face to face assessment last year for PIP when he changed from DLA. The assessment was awful and my son was physically sick and passed out with the stress. He was visibly distressed and despite his autism causing specific difficulties understanding feelings and emotions the assessor repeatedly asked him how things made him feel etc. I digress, when his PIP decision arrived he was refused ping blank, only scoring 2 points overall, the report didn’t reflect him at all! however when a mandatory reconsideration was conducted he was awarded higher rate care and mobility with no additional information being supplied other than the MR request letter. So please don’t despair, ask for the MR on the phone and then send a request in writing addressing each point you disagree with in as much detail as possible. I hope you are successful with this.
  • em1dog
    em1dog Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Hi,

Ive had the letter with the report in telling me what points I scored and why they are saying no, offering me to send a letter within a month if I disagree with what they have said. I will be doing that and questioning some of the things they have said in the report. Thanks every one for your comments, I know I’m not the only one this has happened too, so frustrating. 
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @em1dog

Welcome to the community, sorry to hear your assessment didn't go as you'd hoped and the decision isn't the one you wanted. It's already been covered by other members and you seem aware yourself that the MR is your next step, you'll have one month to request it but that can be extended if needs be. 

Make sure you include as part of your MR references to where you think you should have scored points, and the reasons why, backed up my anecdotal evidence. You can find further information here on carrying out a MR.

All the best
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.