What evidence is good to send in to PIP? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

What evidence is good to send in to PIP?

charlotte84
charlotte84 Community member Posts: 96 Courageous
edited June 2021 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hello all, I’ve seen a few posts regarding gps letters are no good. My question is what actual evidence is good to send in to pip then as my mri results came back yesterday and it was confirmed I have degenerative and bulging discs and also arthritis in the facet joints. Thankyou x

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome 

The best evidence is your own giving examples of what happens when you try to do the tasks 

Or reports front people who see you doing the tasks like family or carers also reports from ot or physio 

You can send mri results but all they do is confirm diagnosis which isn't really in debate 
  • charlotte84
    @janer1967 but don’t the dwp need some sort of evidence of my illness as they can’t just go on family and friends support letters I’m sure. Thankyou for your reply 
  • Emilyb81
    Emilyb81 Community member Posts: 530 Pioneering
    Basically doctors letters can only confirm diagnosis? They don't spend enough time with you to see you struggling with the descriptors? So a letter is better from people who actually see you on a regular basis and help you to do those things? And examples of how you can't do them safely etc? Have you seen the document about it all? The things they look at? (pip I mean?)
    Because pip isn't given based on what illness we have it's for people who can't do the descriptors or struggle to do them? So someone can have a list as long as they like of confirmed illnesses but still may not get pip? And someone can have say asthma like me and they have never had an attack they just struggle to breathe in certain situations? Where as I can't walk 2 meters because I have asthma? So they can't go on the actual illness because they affect different people differently? Hope that's not confused you further! Xx
  • Emilyb81
    Basically they need evidence from people who have seen you try and fail to do those things? Or that have helped you? Because it's not about what we have it's about what we can or can't do? ??
  • Emilyb81
    Have you seen descriptors hun? 
  • charlotte84
    Thankyou so much @Emilyb81 for your message yes it does make sense you really explained it to me well, I’m not very good see at understanding things but your message was fab. Thankyou so much x
  • Emilyb81
    It took me weeks to get my head around this stuff @charlotte84 it made no sense at first but once I saw what they are actually looking at I saw what they would find helpful to see evidence wise? So il post it so you then have it if you haven't seen it before.... Sorry if you have xx
  • Emilyb81
    It took me weeks to get my head around this stuff @charlotte84 it made no sense at first but once I saw what they are actually looking at I saw what they would find helpful to see evidence wise?
    I tried to upload it but it's saying I'm not allowed to in this category? So not sure if someone else is able to help please? 
  • Emilyb81
    Il try again 
  • Emilyb81
    Oh no sorry I knew I should not of said anything sorry if I have made things worse now! ??‍♀️? 
    I do think that our own examples are what's needed I just thought getting support letters from people who help us was good too! Turns out I still don't understand this stuff lol sorry ?
    I didn't mean to say the wrong thing don't want people sending letters in because I said so? It's very hard to know what to do on here as honestly I reply to things if I have been through them myself and offer advice based on what I have done but it has been wrong so maybe I should just stick to asking for help rather than trying to give it ???‍♀️
    Anyway hope my comment can be taken down somehow? And sorry for giving wrong information...  Intentions were good honest! 
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Emilyb81 said:
    Oh no sorry I knew I should not of said anything sorry if I have made things worse now! ??‍♀️? 
    You haven’t. Mike is simply pointing out that, as with all evidence, you need to look closely at what ‘support letters’ say in relation to your actual needs before you can tell how useful they are.

So, for example, if you have a support letter from your mum saying she cooks an evening meal for you three tomes a week you need to explain whether on the other four nights you cook your own meal or whether you are unable to cook and only have, say, a bag of crisps. Saying do not rely on evidence from others is not the same as saying it is never useful.

All evidence needs to be looked at in the round.
    Username_removed said: Evidence from other people can be useful if directed to the descriptors but often it can do more harm than good. That’s because people often have help from others which is limited by the availability or ability of that person. The care you get may not reflect the care you need and in fact might fall well below it. So, relying on what other people say risks underplaying your needs. 

Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    @Emilyb81

We know your intentions are good and you are trying to help 

Everybody's personal experience and opinions are welcome
    Some members are more experienced in  certain areas that's all 

Myself and others have learnt so much being here and still learning 

The importance is that members get information to help them 

• charlotte84
    @Emilyb81 no I can’t see it hun but Thankyou so much for trying. You no when I get my daughter and dad to write a letter how should I tell them to like write it and who is the letter addressed for xx
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    There's nothing wrong with what you said @Emilyb81, there's no need to feel bad about it at all and I hope the comments from other members have reassured you :) 

As mentioned, sending in a supporting letter written by a health professional or other individual is absolutely fine, as long as the information contained is useful and of relevance to the descriptors. 
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Emilyb81
    Thank you @calcotti I understand what Mike is saying and I know its right ?
    I just don't mean to give wrong advice  I tend to march ahead and say things meaning well but in this situation for example I have maybe not thought it through fully? I would just hate to think someone has been steered in wrong direction even partly because of something I've commented? So for that I'm sorry? Also it (my phone I think?) keeps telling me nobody has replied to a post so il say something because don't want them sat thinking they're being ignored and then it turns out other more knowledgeable people have in fact already given advice so I look as though I'm speaking over them lol I think it's all taking some getting used to in general? I have a rubbish phone and that's getting fixed today so hopefully some of my problems will be sorted! I have very low self esteem as you can probably tell from my reaction? I tend to take things extra personally! What I really mean by my post before that's came out wrong due to me being an emotional wally is I need to hold back more and let other more experienced people help not saying I won't reply to people etc but I am going to try and not jump in so quick ??? so all good! Thanks peeps xx
  • Emilyb81
    Thankyou @janer1967 ? and @Ross_Scope ?? as I said above I am learning its amazing how much since being on this forum! About benefits etc and about myself! Pretty cool ? and @charlotte84 have you Seen the descriptors so you know what kind of thing is helpful and not? I don't know why I can't post it I've tried several times ??‍♀️ I know the people above have the list and explanation of it all? It was probably the most important thing I've got from the forum so far I had never heard of them before! Unfortunately I found out about it all too late after I'd already been told no :disappointed: but I know now so it helped loads with my MR application! Wish I had found out before! ?? Xx
  • Emilyb81
    God I cringe at myself sometimes I am so over emotional! Reading my post again is another example of what I'm saying? I should hang back a bit before I type ???‍♀️??‍♀️? oh and I say sorry too much see? Always learning ?
  • charlotte84
    Aww @Emilyb81 you haven’t said anything wrong hun it actually helped me understand. Don’t put yourself down ? im thankful for your advice xx

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.