Hi, I'm ladywind111! What is the chance my dad will get the Carers Allowance he is really owed? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, I'm ladywind111! What is the chance my dad will get the Carers Allowance he is really owed?

ladywind111
ladywind111 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited October 2021 in Benefits and financial support
Hi guys my friend said how great you guys are can someone please help with advice i can read a little and i speak to my phone to wright my dad cant do none and because he's a aged man it hurts him 
i have been throw so so very much in my life i keep having family support workers asking was i getting pip for my illness i wasn’t didn't no how to until a friend got forms helped me apply it took so long they back dated a year 
my dad have to give up being self employed to care for me a few years ago i felt so so sorry watching him struggling 
a teacher said he could get carears allowance 
we try to apply with my little brother filling forms out but we had no national insurance number for my dad and when you have to speak to your phone its not easy 
but we applied my brother put on the form he didnt have one we never heard anything back 
then i had to move 200 miles from home because my attacks know where i lived we got my dad’s national insurance number afder mothers of trying and had a friend help make a claim he was told put the date i was awarded from  on the form we did it was a year and we are both dyslexic 
they gave him cara’s for 3 months we asked could we appeal they said its with a decision maker but Cara allowance only backdate for three months! 
Whats the chance he will get what hes really owned i feel so so guilty hes done so much for me 
please help 
Tagged:

Comments

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    edited July 2021
    Hello @ladywind111

Welcome to the community, good to see you join us and thanks for posting your first discussion.

It's good that you were able to find your dad's NI number eventually and make the claim. Your dad sounds like a super person, you clearly have a lot of gratitude towards him for how much he has helped you.

It's hard to say what the chances are of the appeal being successful and your dad getting the entitlement you think he deserves, because it obviously depends on the strength of your appeal, but I hope that everything goes well for you and your family. 

Have you ever considered referring yourself for a needs assessment through your local authority to see if a care plan could be put in place? That might help to ease some of the pressure on your family and make you feel better. Also, I'm sorry to hear that you had to move due to the threat of your attackers, are you living in a safe place now? Are you free from any threat?
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    The law only permits backdating of CA fot three months except when the CA claim is made within three months of the decision to award a disability benefit to the person being cared for in which case the CA can’t be backdated to the date the he disability benefit is awarded from. There is no discretion over this.
    Unless you can prove that the earlier claim was made and should have been processed at that time I think there is little chance of getting more than three months backdating.

Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Danny3
    Danny3 Community member Posts: 16 Courageous
    ladywind111  I agree with Ross_Scope.  You and your father really could use some help from your local authority in properly assessing your needs, and doing all the necessary paperwork for you to start the ball rolling. Having such a point of contact can only be helpful to you both as you go forward.      

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.