"We owe you money" Please help me understand this — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

"We owe you money" Please help me understand this

Superglue2000
Superglue2000 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited July 2021 in Universal Credit (UC)
I've left a note in my journal too but I recently received this PDF letter from Universal Credit:

I've also now just received my usual monthly payment (which has gone up since I have limited capability)
Am I supposed to receive both amounts? I received the amount they owe me in the letter a couple weeks ago and the amount I get paid each month just today. It's really overwhelming me and my mental health and I can't phone anyone on the weekend. I also have dyscalculia so numbers really confuse me. ? I haven't touched any of the money I've just received but is this a mistake or am I supposed to get both?

I really don't understand anything in this letter and it's making me have an anxiety attack, please tell me what's going on and how this works. I assumed since I got that amount (I also do not understand why they owe me this money) I wouldn't get my usual payment this month

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited July 2021
    When they decide you have LCWRA you can be owed arrears depending on how long it has taken to make a decision. My interpretation is that they owe you two months of the LCWRA for the period stated and because one month is paid at the rate for 2020-21 and one at the current rate will come to £685.55. The £686.72 you have already received for this period is two months of the standard allowance for someone under 25 (again at two slightly different monthly rates).

It is badly worded though, it would make more sense for them to say you are entitled to £1,372.27 for 29th March to 28th May, we have already paid you £686.72 so we owe you £685.55.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Superglue2000
    Superglue2000 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    So I am entitled to both my backpayment and my usual UC for this month? It is a terribly worded document, you can even see a spelling error in the letter. I'm dyslexic too so having vague wording basically means I don't understand it.

What you're saying is in the period it took them to assess me for LCWRA, they owe me money for that period of time because the outcome (LC) means that I was entitled to it then but was not receiving it due to not having my assessment completed. Meaning they're paying me the money they owed me for being LC this whole time?

I really wish they'd call people and go through it with them, with how many people claiming UC are disabled you'd think they'd make it a bit simpler to understand. Such is life I guess
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited July 2021
    Superglue2000 said:
    What you're saying is in the period it took them to assess me for LCWRA, they owe me money for that period of time because the outcome (LC) means that I was entitled to it then but was not receiving it due to not having my assessment completed. 
    Yes. You are generally entitled to the LCWRA element from the fourth payment after you reported your health condition so if it has taken longer than this to assess you there are arrears due.
    The back payment is for the two months 29th March to 28th April and 29th April to 28th May.
    The regular payment (which now includes LCWRA) just received is for 29th May to 28th June, this is now the amount you will get for your regular monthly payments (subject to the general reduction in UC standard allowances from October onwards).
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Superglue2000

Welcome to the community, I hope you are doing better today and that the above advice has helped to ease your mind. It concerns me that you mentioned having an anxiety attack due to the stress of this situation, how are you feeling at the moment? Has your anxiety calmed? Is your GP aware and supporting you to manage your anxiety? 

Mind have some helpful self-care tips for anxiety, which may be of use to you.

Also, just to let you know we have removed your full name from the photo provided, to protect your personal details and in accordance with our guidelines.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.