Mobility scooter for my mother — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Mobility scooter for my mother

BakerV
BakerV Community member Posts: 3 Listener

My mother has hard time walking, and as of late its only getting worse, So I decided to get her mobility scooter, she was thrilled about it, but I don’t have any prior experience in mobility scooters. So I would really appreciate if you could help me.

As I'm from Worthing I looked up shops near me and found Keep Moving Care - A Complete UK Care Shop, I wanted to ask if anyone has experience with them and if not could you give me some shops that you think I should consider and why?

Should I get her used one as its her first time, and what are your experience with the used ones?

And lastly which brands should I look out for?

Comments

• Duninn
    Duninn Community member Posts: 184 Pioneering
    Most shops will have second hand - if buying one make sure they have serviced it.  Some even have a ‘hire’ service if you want to see how your mother gets on with it.  She could have a chat with any services she is involved in (social services, OT, Practice Nurse or GP) I can say this because my first one was great initially but it wasn’t long until I needed another one - I got more confident and wanted to do more, go further.  Hire or buy = expensive ?
  • BakerV
    Thank you Duninn! Will look into that option too
  • exdvr
    exdvr Community member Posts: 331 Pioneering
    Hi @BakerV   There's a massive range of scooters on the market but it all depends on what your mother needs for her personal use.  It really is not easy to generalise but personally I would go for new rather than second-hand.   Why not get her to try out what is available to test drive at your local Shopmobility centre?  

Best wishes.

DLTBGYD

• BakerV
    Hey @exdvr Im a bit new to all of this and I wanted to get some information, but tomorrow I will call centers to see if they have available test drives, it can really help us to narrow down to what she really likes and what's most comfortable for her. Thank you for taking your time to reply to me I really appreciate it!
  • exdvr
    exdvr Community member Posts: 331 Pioneering
    Hi     just as an aside my current scooter is a Kymco Mini Comfort which has all-round suspension, lights, and a range of around 15 miles. It cost in the region of £900 delivered. I'm very pleased with it and would certainly recommend it particularly because of the suspension.  

Best wishes.

DLTBGYD

• Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @BakerV I apologise for the late post, but since you're based in Worthing I can recommend Clearwell Mobility if you haven't visited them already.

How did you get on in the end?
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.

Brightness