Attending a festival with a mobility scooter - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Attending a festival with a mobility scooter

Comments

• HanzRolo
    HanzRolo Community member Posts: 60 Courageous
    @Emilyb81 the first festival I went to was a one day one, so no camping involved.  It's worth looking at smaller local ones to see what's going on.  There are all these retro ones that had started up that people I knew were going to with their camping chairs just to sit and watch.  You don't have to get involved in sliding down the hill in mud :D  My parents went to one a couple of years ago with Feeder and Kaiser Chiefs and they just took camping chairs with them but it was a smaller local one rather than Glasto or Reading :)  I've done a few weekenders where we've stayed in a hotel (ok... Premier Inn) as the bands have been playing in venues rather than in a muddy field.  Keep it on the bucketlist :) 
  • HanzRolo
    @kelics yeah Canni track names are definitely not nice.  I just can't get behind it.  I like death metal but I prefer things like Wolfheart singing about the cold  :D 

I was going to see live music from a very young age with my parents and went to festivals with them too.

I'd check to see if they have any upgrades for toilets or any specific ones for disabled attendees.  I've seen some really grim things when using the facilities at festivals so if I can get an upgrade I'll take it.  It's worth watching where the portaloo cleaning trucks are.  When they've been and gone, that's the best time to go!  Shhh, don't tell everyone that or there'll be big queues :D 

Best thing, I agree with @Richard_Scope with meeting new people.  I've made some great friends at festivals from all over the world :)  Fell out with a mate at one festival who we had camped next to (no idea why, still baffled by it) and made two new friends who were camped beside us.  Still keep in touch with the two new friends.  I miss doing it. 
  • kelics
    kelics Community member Posts: 84 Courageous
    edited June 2021
    @Emilyb81 you will attend 100%. Next year will be your year!
  • Emilyb81
    Emilyb81 Community member Posts: 530 Pioneering
    Thanks peeps!!
    My goals are that and maybe going on a holiday for first time since I was 14 lol oh and learning how to drive!!
     Big things to work towards eventually but I feel they are a more achievable today than they were before! So yeah thankyou ??? 
  • HanzRolo
    @Emilyb81 best of luck!!!  Driving is my next thing I need to do.  I've always been concerned about it with being dyspraxic but a friend told me that they learnt in an automatic and found it far easier.  
  • Emilyb81
    I've been told it's easier to learn in an automatic too so will defo do that if and when I take the plunge! :smile: even thinking it's possible is new for me as I normally just talk myself out of anything positive hence not achieving many of the things others have by now! So hoping I can hold onto this new found hope and motivation!
    Good luck to you too @HanzRolo we will all be driving to a festival very soon I'm sure ??? have a fab week peeps!! 
  • Emilyb81
    I typed something out over an hour ago and I am always typing then deleting and restarting etc so it takes me a while to put a message together then my phone refreshed and it was all gone!! So I've finished sulking now and tried to remember what I'd said but basically I remembered earlier that a few years back I went to a music event in the town I was living in they call it a festival but it's a few local bands playing in a park so not a festival like the ones above! ??
    Anyhoo they had a raised metal  platform with ramps either side of it so people in wheelchairs or scooters etc can go up and watch the music without any worry about getting stuck or injured etc? I thought that was a good idea it's pretty much in middle of everything and you get taken up and locked in I think so others can't get in rather than us not being able to escape I believe!! Anyway I thought that was a good idea and not sure if they do something similar at bigger festivals and events? It would certainly help me if I knew I wasn't trapped & unable to get out in emergency situation? And if I remember rightly they had a better view up there ??? so don't know if that's something they do elsewhere?.... 
  • kelics

@Emilyb81 Oh you will enjoy driving, that's for sure, it's awesome especially if you love to travel. I'm using an automatic/hand control now, and it's probably even better than ordinary pedals.

Regarding the high ramp at fest, there are perks of being disabled i guess :D.

Your text disappears, that's fam to me also, I have to copy what I write so if I accidently refresh, the effort is not wasted.

@HanzRolo good luck mate, i hope you will start driving soon \m/
  • kelics
    @HanzRolo hahaha mate you scaring me, i really hope toilets are OK :D
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Most of the larger festivals do have areas similar to that @Emilyb81. There are often numerous stages dotted around the festival site and most of them will have a viewing area intended for the use of disabled attendees should they need it. It's essentially a space fit with chairs so that people can have a seat while watching the show, and of course wheelchair users access it too.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Emilyb81
    Oh thank you @Ross_Scope that sounds good! I expect it costs more but I genuinely don't see a way around me going to one if I'd have to be in crowds of people although that's probably part of the fun for most people I literally pass out even on trains etc as too tight space wise so that would take a load of my anxiety away so would be worth the money for me anyway! 
    And @kelics I do think driving would give me much more sense of freedom than I have currently? As I have to rely on taxis to go anywhere so having a car would mean I am not relying on others as much and would be a great help to visit family and get to hospital appointments and similar so although I've always said I can't afford to learn or a car but recently looked into the disability car thing and I can learn in that apparently so again like the festival its looking/feeling much more doable! 
    I will look into it for next year 100% ?? I really didn't think it would be something if ever manage to do before I came on here as always put lots of walls in the way in my head? But they are currently getting torn down so definitely grateful for this forum for many reasons! Have a great day peeps ???
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    The facilities for disabled attendees don't cost more @Emilyb81. In fact, if you need somebody to go with you at all you'd be able to get a free second ticket for that person, which makes things even more manageable.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • HanzRolo
    kelics said:
    @HanzRolo hahaha mate you scaring me, i really hope toilets are OK :D
    Sorry, I've just had bad experiences at some festivals with the portaloos (though Leeds rather than Download).  But if you can cope looking at the cover of Canni albums you'll be fine ;) 
  • kelics
    @HanzRolo hahahahaha thats kinda true, i actually have one of their T from Red Before Black Album. U should see one of their Violence Unimagenable T-Shirts, i honestly dunno who would wear that :D some t-shirts are just sick...
  • kelics
    @emily81 you should definetly start learning to drive, like you said, more freedom and you won't have to rely on taxis or others to give you a lift
  • kelics
    Hey guys, i think I'm going to Download2022.

What are the steps i need to take to arrange that access camp? 

I just looked at the tickets and the options are something like "3nights eco, "5 nights eco" or something like that,  I'm not sure if anything is relevant to me.

Thanks in advance for the tips! \m/
  • HanzRolo
  • kelics
    @HanzRolo hey mate thanks for the reply,  kinda like that but I still have a lot more  questions than answers

which exact tickets do I need to purchase? (there is no such thing as Access Tickets as far as I know)

do I apply for an access camp after I purchase a ticket? before?

I think I need to phone and speak to someone that is if these "unprecedented times" will allow me to speak to anyone.

any idea who can give me more relevant info? download office? 

• HanzRolo
    @kelics I will ask my mate who is a regular goer to the festival and see what he says.  I'll get back to you when he replies :) 
  • kelics

Brightness