Arthritis Pain — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Arthritis Pain

Stocking
Stocking Community member Posts: 4 Listener

Comments

• Hollands_106_2717_
    Hollands_106_2717_ Community member Posts: 18 Listener
    Hi sue how are you doing I have Arthritis like you and just getting over a bad flare up xxxxx
    E Stebbings
  • Stocking
    Hi I'm in pain all the time. The pain killers don't help.
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Stocking welcome to the community, have you had support from your doctors or pain clinics about long term pain?

Have you heard of the Challenging Arthritis courses run by Arthritis Care?  Do check out the link, it might be helpful to you.

Working alongside community groups and health and social care professionals, our trained volunteer champions encourage you to take a proactive role in managing the physical, mental and emotional aspects of arthritis. 
    Their range of services are provided through peer to peer support, over the phone, at drop-ins, in groups or one on one.
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Sam_Alumni
    Also take a look at our Chronic Pain group to talk to other members who are dealing with long term pain.
    Scope
  • Stocking
    There don't seem to be any thing in Wolverhampton for Arthritis suffers. 
  • sharront
    sharront Community member Posts: 9 Listener
    Hi there. New to the group. I suffer from severe arthritis to both knees and one shoulder. I have a scooter but can only use if hubby with me as cannot manage to put it together. I am limited to mobility and living in a first floor flat so try to do the stairs only once a day. My gp says cannot give me anything for pain other than Paracetamol or Codeine Phosphate due to taking Warfarin
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    @Stocking - do you have osteo or rheumatoid arthritis?  If the latter, you could ask your GP to refer you to a consultant rheumatologist at a hospital.

What painkillers has your GP prescribed?

I have RA and find that freeze spray eases pain as do hot water bottles.  Ibuprofen gel also helps but that is messy whereas freeze spray is easy to apply and dries quickly.

• sharront
    Hi. Thanks for your message. It is osteopathic in both knees but rheumatoid in shoulder. Sadly I cannot use anything like Ibuprofen, Diclofenac or similar gels due to the anti inflamatories in after stomach bleed from the tablets. the cold spray I can use for me knees but no more than twice a day and I recently bought the cold gel knowing the spray was good but didn't seem to do anything. Because of my medications, in particular the Warfarin they will only let me use Paracetamol, cocodamol or Codeine Phosphate. The cocodamol now seems to do nothing for it. The annoying thing is I don't sleep well best of times but it appears to be worse at night now. Last night was shocking. Used the spray at 3am but now got to wait until around lunch time to use again. It's usually the weather change often making it worse but weather pretty steady right now lol. I know we all have good and bad days, just wish it was a few good days together haha
  • Matilda
    @sharront - have you asked your GP to refer you to a rheumatologist?  There might be a suitable medication for you, not just painkillers, that actually treats the RA itself.  There are various medications available - I've been on several different ones over the nearly 30 years that I've had RA.  Ideally, ask your GP to refer you to a teaching hospital where they use the latest (and often the most effective) treatments long before non-teaching hospitals do.

And a hospital could give you steroid injections in your knees - if that wouldn't interact with the Warfarin.
  • sharront
    @Matilda. They thought about the injections but said couldn't do for my knees as no 'reasonable site's to inject into. I have had one in my shoulder a couple if years back when they thought thst was osteo and luckily that doesn't pain me as much. Just changed my crutches to a new cuff kind from germany though which also helped the shoulder pain.  GP tells me to grin and bear it!! It is a teaching hospital I go to. The consultant there told me to tick to Paracetamol lol.sometimes feel like a junkie waiting for four hours to come round to get my pills haha. There are worse off than me I tell myself
  • Matilda

@sharront - sorry to hear that your doctors are not helpful.  You might want to check out Arthritis Care's pain management courses as referred to above.
  • sharront
  • Sam_Alumni
    Hi @sharront I saw you were looking for arthritis support in Wolverhampton and found this group. Hope this helps  :)
    Scope
  • CiliaLizama
    CiliaLizama Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    After intense research I purchased Superior cbd pain relief oil for my mother who has severe arthritis in her legs. The hemp oil has helped ease her pain, and allowed her to be more active. I’m so glad it’s working for her.

• jw0957
    jw0957 Community member Posts: 48 Connected
    Stocking l deeply sympathise with your pain! I have oste arthritis and fibromyalgia. Osteoarthritis affects my whole body but feel it worse in knees, wrists, hands and. Sholders. I have had injections in both knees and left shoulder but it didn’t work ☹️ I then had have surgery in left wrist and shoulder in 2012. Co-codamol is all l can take but it rarely works to relieve pain. I can’t take anti-inflammatory meds due to having had a gastric bypass. Co-codamol causes constipation and the rarely eat. Not good for a bypass patient. My Gp is very good and looks after me, though l don’t have active hospital treatment. I can’t see the point when they can’t really do anything to change my diagnosis. I’m 62 and getting worse as k grow older. 
  • fenfisher
    fenfisher Community member Posts: 18 Connected
    Hi I have been suffering with arthritis for what seems like years I have severe osteo in lower spine for pain I take tramadol,gabapentin .i also take amatiptoline daily.i am asthmatic so have to be carefull, I am lucky to attend pain clinic where I have injections in spine and they work well. I think that despite the pain which is near constant you have to keep moving.  I am also fighting the big c  I do honestly think that some excersie is important I have since retired from work   Regards

• jojosephine
    jojosephine Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Matilda said:
    @Stocking - do you have osteo or rheumatoid arthritis?  If the latter, you could ask your GP to refer you to a consultant rheumatologist at a hospital.

What painkillers has your GP prescribed?

I have RA and find that freeze spray eases pain as do hot water bottles.  Ibuprofen gel also helps but that is messy whereas freeze spray is easy to apply and dries quickly.

Cold compresses are most effective in relieving my arthritis pain. At first I used ice packs, they were a bit cumbersome to use. You have to freeze again and again, and it always wets my body. Later I noticed that my arthritis continued to ache, and I checked the cold therapy system for relief pain on the advice of my doctor. It is more convenient than an ice pack. I chose a pad that fits my knees. It can wrap my knees firmly and provide continuous freezing. You can also choose a pad that fits your shoulder.
  • Hannah73
    Hannah73 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    edited July 2021
    <moderator removed - links to advertising not allowed> I found this article, maybe it can help you.
  • lindaket
    lindaket Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    edited July 2021
    Hannah73 said:
    <moderator removed - links to advertising not allowed> I found this article, maybe it can help you.
    Thank you, Hannah. What are your thoughts on <moderator removed - links to advertising not allowed>? On the site you linked there's an article about it, but I am unsure whether it is really safe. Do you have any experience?
  • Hannah73
    Hannah73 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    edited July 2021
    lindaket said:
    Hannah73 said:
    <moderator removed - links to advertising not allowed>
    , I found this article, maybe it can help you.
    Thank you, Hannah. What are your thoughts on<moderator removed - links to advertising not allowed>? On the site you linked there's an article about it, but I am unsure whether it is really safe. Do you have any experience?
    Hello, I am unsure, I haven't had a joint replacement, but I think you can read it all <moderator removed - links to advertising not allowed>.  :) 

Brightness