Hi, my name is natz2009! If my PIP claim is successful, can I claim SDP? - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is natz2009! If my PIP claim is successful, can I claim SDP?

Options

Comments

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @natz2009 - as long as you have an award for the daily living component of PIP, either rate, then with your circumstances you should qualify for the SDP (as you already receive Income Support). As far as getting a longer award, if you don't ask, you won't get it. It's for those with a condition that will stay the same, or worsen. If you don't get it with a MR, you can appeal on the length of your award alone, & that wouldn't otherwise affect your award.....so nothing to lose.
  • natz2009
    natz2009 Community member Posts: 76 Connected
    Options
    Ty once again @chiarieds :) i shall have a long think on this and will update when my award comes through xx
  • littleacorn
    littleacorn Community member Posts: 368 Pioneering
    Options
    I am so confussed about this questin everytime it s asked. I understand that if you get PIP enhanced rate and no one claims cares allowance for you you can claim SDP. But what I dont understand is why is someone awarded? If you claim SDP for yourself  who has enhanced PIP how can you be a carer for someone else who lives at a different address? If you could give me some examples I would be greatful? 
  • natz2009
    Options
    My dad comes to my home everyday all day i have set alarms in his phone and he has a doset box to remind him i make sure he is eating and is showering ect i call him up first thing in the morning and i call him at night to make sure he had his med has put his car keys away and is settled for the night in turn doing this and looking after 5 kids i forget about myself and my needs most day it os very strainuous and im bearly managing to cope and i have recently said to my dad that i dont think i can be ur carer anymore as my care needs are getting worse xx hope this kindof helps paint a picture x i used to go to hos house but my mobility is out the window and i dont drive so we switched it up a little x
  • natz2009
    Options
    @littleacorn my dads condition can be hit n miss some days he will have good days some will be bad after the passing of my sister 5 years ago unexpected he never been the same so he has mental health issues and he has progressive athritis so in the winter he will be worse than in the summer months if we ever get one lol so sometimes he have to get taxis insted of drive or he cant get out at all witch is when i need to try and push through what i am dealing with to help him but tbh im at my limit :( x
  • natz2009
    edited July 2021
    Options
    And also only lives 5 minutes from each other i dont know if this was an example you where looking for lol im still not sure if im entitled to sdp because im my fathers carer xx
  • chiarieds
    Options
    Hi @littleacorn - as far as PIP & SDP go, you only need an award of the daily living component with PIP. This can be either the standard or enhanced award. However, you also need to be getting an income related benefit such as Income Support, income related ESA, income based Jobseeker's Allowance, or Housing Benefit. Usually you have to live with no other adults, unless they too have a qualifying benefit. You cannot get SDP if another person is getting Carer’s Allowance for looking after you (or the Carer's element of Universal Credit).
    SDP is just an additional premium (payment) that can be added if you meet the above criteria (so it's not something that is 'awarded,' in the way that PIP is).
    You can be a carer for someone in your household, or as @natz2009 has kindly illustrated, someone who lives at a different address. Being a carer doesn't stop you from getting SDP with the criteria mentioned above, rather if someone else is claiming Carer's Allowance, etc. for looking after you. Hope this helps. Please see this for confirmation: https://www.gov.uk/disability-premiums/eligibility
  • littleacorn
    Options
    @chiarieds it does help a little. I have 2 further questions. What if you live in a household that you were once in a relationship with but are no longer in one bht jjst cant find somewhere else to live and they are not claiming carers alllwance for you. How can someone who needs a carer for themselves be a carer for someone else?
  • littleacorn
    Options
    Think after reading some of the above I have answers to my question about being a carer for someone else. Thanks everyone it is now clearer in my mind.
  • natz2009
    Options
    Can i ask @chiarieds my report for questio  2 she has put 0 points but has put 2d was considerd but due to no mental health issues was dicided not but it is evident throughout my medical records and form mental health everywhere do you think the decision makers might go with this even though the assesor didnt ? X 
  • chiarieds
    Options
    Hi @natz2009 - I have no idea what the decision maker will go with. They tend to go with the assessor's report on the whole. I think a part of the problem is that the assessor's use 'cut & paste' answers....the nearest to what they think, but often it bears little resemblance to what a person is actually going through. This is where MRs can be useful, in giving you another chance to explain (if this wasn't evident with your initial claim form), then take it to appeal if needed.
  • natz2009
    Options
    Ty for your reply yeah its just weird that she has stated this when its all over my medical notes and for but waiting game now for my decision fingers crossed xx
  • natz2009
    Options
    So got my award standard daily living enhanced mobility from feb 2021 to dec 2022 now to think what to do about mandatory reconsideration ? As i feel i should have scored points on taking nutrition and budgating decsisions glad the hard parts out the way xx
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @natz2009

I'm glad to hear you've had a decision letter and have been awarded both components. 

If you can identify and evidence which specific daily living activities and points you believe you should have been awarded, and these take you to 12+ points then you might want to proceed with a MR.  There are risks in challenging decisions, however it is rare that awards are reduced.

If you go ahead with a MR, make sure to demonstrate why you satisfy a particular descriptor, for instance could someone who knows you well i.e. a family member or carer write a detailed account of the last time you tried the activities with them present? Also, ensure to show (if applicable) where and why there are inaccuracies with the way the DWP applied the points test.

It's a personal decision, so do take your time and know that there's no immediate rush to decide as you can ask for a MR up to 13 months after the decision date with good reason.  

Good luck and thanks for the update :)
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • natz2009
    Options
    Thank you for the reply yeah she has stated 2d was considerd but due to no metal health input was decided against but i am currently waiting on phycoligy and am on 30mg mirtazipine for sleep and depression witch i have proof of in dr letters  so on this question alone i would have got 13 points for daily living so still 5050 on the mr xx
  • chiarieds
    Options
    Hi @natz2009 - thank you for your update with your decision letter. If you decide to go for a MR you can use this form: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/683380/if-you-disagree-with-a-decision-made-by-dwp.PDF    adding extra pages if needed (with your name & National Insurance number on each page), or just print out a letter (again adding your name & NI number). Personally, I would get this back to the DWP within one month of the date on your decision letter. Just ask for a (free) Certificate of Posting from the Post Office, so you can prove you posted in good time, if needed.
    I wouldn't mention inaccuracies in the assessor's report unless provable, i.e. with your medical record, & say where....such & such a report, page 2, para 3, for example. Again, do the same if you decide to ask for an ongoing award. Do come back if you have any questions.  :)
  • natz2009
    Options
    Thank you very much for your reply @chiarieds very informative and will keep this in mind if i go with a mr :) and thank you everyone for your continued help and support i shall update with any new soon :D xxx 
  • natz2009
    Options
    Hi just thought id write an update i had a phone call today from dwp about my mandatory reconsidaration asking all sorts of questions about a 20 minute conversation and at the end he said ive went from standard daily living to enhanced so high rate for both after mr he seemed to actually take in what i said was stressfull but at least the hard part is done hope everyone is keeping well xx
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Thanks for the update @natz2009, good to hear the positive news :) 

Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • chiarieds
    Options
    Delighted to see your update @natz2009 - thank you for letting us know, & well done. :)

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.