Lwrca back payments and possible wrong advise from work coach — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Lwrca back payments and possible wrong advise from work coach

emerald90
emerald90 Community member Posts: 8 Listener
edited July 2021 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hey everyone hope all is well. Gonna try summarise this as quickly as I can. So I've had my uc claim since around May 2020, I was unfit for work since but couldn't get esa. I was also awarded pip in the December of 2020. A lot of my health issues are mental health related and I had a "psychotic break" for 6 months so I never got my sickline details sent over to them when I finally recovered from my episode I tried to get the sicklines together to start the lwcra process now my job coach at the time told me I'd probably have to change the date I claimed to be unwell from incase my doctor wasn't willing to back date a sickline and I just went with what he said as I was worried and anxious to ask the doctor as he acted like it's something they don't do. So anyway he told me to change my health in my journal to fit for work to then unfit from work from the date we were on the phone. I didn't really think much of this at the time I'm a very anxious person and just thought my work coach would know best so that was February of this year now I'm being informed it means I won't be entitled to the back date of my original claim and ATM is only at 3 months since I re done it properly and handed in evidence so will I even get a penny of backdated money now as I keep reading places about a 14 week waiting period or something? And does anyone know if this does end up being the case is there anyway I can appeal or something back to the date I originally added my sickness before I was told to change it 

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome 

As you didn't provide fit notes for the whole period you won't get backpay 

You will only be paid from the 4th month after reporting and provide fit notes 

Gp can backdate fit notes but they are often reluctant to do so and only for short periods 

You can appeal the start date of your claim but will have to provide the evidence 
  • emerald90
    Hi thank you for your reply Jane. If I was able to get sicklines from last year tho as my doctor is quite understanding does it mean I'll be backdated from then after the assessment period if I change my info again?
  • MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    If you can get backdated fit notes then I’d imagine you would need to request a mandatory reconsideration to see if they would accept the earlier date. 
  • janer1967
    Hi again 

I wouldn't change any information 

I would get the fit note then send a copy with a mandatory reconsideration explaining the full details and request that the start date of your claim be looked at again 

I'd successful they will update the details 
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @emerald90

Welcome to the community, how are you? 

Sorry to read of the inconvenience and confusion that you've been through with UC lately, it can't have been easy to handle. I hope the above replies have been helpful in clearing up things for you? 
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • emerald90
    Thanks everyone for the replies. Not to be a pest but just so I make sure I'm taking what yous are saying properly so I should wait for my award then appeal it under the circumstances I have told yous?
  • janer1967
    Have you had a decision yet in your assessment? 

You only get additional payment if you are awarded lcwra 

If so see the dates they say the award is from and take it from there 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.