Hi, I'm IanFrancis! How can we keep activities digitally inclusive post-pandemic? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, I'm IanFrancis! How can we keep activities digitally inclusive post-pandemic?

IanFrancis
IanFrancis Community member Posts: 1 Listener
My wife is clinically vulnerable and I am wheelchair-bound with MS. During lockdown we have experienced an improvement in our situation, because the able-bodied world has retreated to Zoom. We have been able to rejoin our much cherished French class, and to attend our local church, of which we have been members for more than 40 years.
With good luck we will hang onto French, but I do not think that the chances of our able-bodied church colleagues still using zoom as a mainstream Service are good.
I am very keen to hang onto The improvement in our circumstances that we have accidentally received during lockdown. Have any colleagues on the forum experienced The same thing, and does anyone have any ideas about how we can put together a structure which helps colleagues to use this unexpected improvement in our circumstances, and makes sure that it is retained?
Tagged:

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome to the community 

I would suggest you contact the group and make a suggestion maybe have a mix of virtual zoom meetings as well as face to face so all members can participate 
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @IanFrancis and a warm welcome to our online community.  How are you and your wife doing today?

I agree, one positive outcome from the tragedy of covid-19 has been the opening up of activities and services that disabled people were previously excluded from.  The examples you describe of enjoying a French class and church service really illustrate how feasible it is, and the benefits both to people living with impairments and the services who get a wider audience.  

Have you approached the church to discuss them continuing broadcasting services on Zoom in the long-term?  Maybe they will be willing to embrace this change and embed it as part of reaching a wider congregation?  

Scope have a project called 'The Big Hack' that you might want to take a look at too, and possibly forward on to any contacts.  It contains lots of tips on how to make online services more accessible that are super easy to implement.

Just to let you know, I've tweaked the title of your thread to help others spot what it's about and also moved it to our Disabled people category to garner more visibility :) 

Please let us know how you get on and good luck.
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Brightness