Does anyone else have chronic 247 severe throat pain? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Does anyone else have chronic 247 severe throat pain?

Bridget90
Bridget90 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi everyone. I suffer with severe chronic throat pain which means I basically can't talk at all. I've had this for 3 years with no reason and it being down to 'stress' I am in agony 247. I'm in such a dark place and feels so lonely not being able to even find anyone else with a similar problem! Anyone out there suffering with the same thing?! 

Comments

• Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 46,788 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Bridget90 welcome to the forum, sorry you have that condition and feeling lonely. I don't have that condition, someone might who may respond soon. 
    Have your drs come up with any ideas how to help? 
  • Bridget90
    Bridget90 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Hi @Sandy_123 I've seen 4 ENTs all with no idea of how to help. Seen 3 speech therapists all who havnt been able to reduce the pain. Am under the pain clinic and they've never had a patient with it before. It the cruelest thing because you can't talk to anyone or have a conversation ? x
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Bridget90 and a warm welcome from me too, how are you today?

Firstly, ouch.  What you are going through, and have been for some time, sounds like a lot to deal with.  I can understand why it's making you feel lonely and in a dark place.  Chronic pain of any kind can chip away at a person's self-esteem, is your GP aware of the impact your chronic sore throat is having on your emotional wellbeing?  If not, maybe think about contacting them to let them know how you're feeling.

It sounds like you've explored numerous treatment options without much luck, are the pain clinic able to offer anything?  

I've tweaked the title of your thread and moved it to our 'Undiagnosed and rare conditions' category, which you might find helpful to browse.  Also, there's a charity called Rare Disease UK which provides support to people with rare conditions such as this, and you could find others in a similar position through their network.

I have everything crossed for you getting some answers and relief soon  <3
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 46,788 Disability Gamechanger
    Morning @Bridget90 I can understand how frustrating it is, the link Cher put above rare diseases looks a good link to read. You can always talk to us here and join  in any conversations.
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,586 Disability Gamechanger
    I don't get the constant pain fortunately but do have near constant 'discomfort' in my throat which causes similar limitations as in your post.  What I can only describe as a 'throat hernia' keeps popping out making it difficult to swallow, or speak, or even breathe sometimes.  I have to try and make sure my head is upright and facing forward when swallowing but even then it still occurs...sometimes I wake up with it and it'll be there all day, others it'll just start randomly...but I know if I put any effort into lifting or pushing something that'll trigger it.  Also lately keeps happening while driving which I can't understand (possibly the effort of steering/changing gear/handbrake!?).  It often 'catches' as well, particularly if I attempt to speak.  

Of course, I just get told it's caused by anxiety...as with any other complaint I have.  :|
  • beesutts
    beesutts Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    I've been searching for anyone with a similar ailment to what I am experiencing and could not find anything until I stumbled upon this post.  I've been experiencing something very similar to OverlyAnxious for the past 5 months with no one able to give me an answer.  The left side of my throat has been causing different levels of discomfort everyday since it started. Sometimes it's barely noticeable. Other times it hurts to swallow or talk. The pain seems to occur just behind the cartilage (adams apple).  Sometimes it feels ad though my voice is tired or my throat muscles are kind of cramping, if that makes sense.  If I look up or up and to the right, it seems to alleviate the pain. If I look down (especially down and to the left) and talk or swallow, it instantly aggrevates and the pain and discomfort begins.  I'm not a smoker or a heavy drinker.  I would not say that my anxiety levels are anything abnormal or outside normal everyday stressors.  I'm wondering if anyone in this post have been provided a reasonable explanation or diagnosis. I can't help but worry it's something significant.  Thanks! 

Brightness